Toolbox Flywheel Holder

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Right, here's a photo of the finished fettled and lightened tool next to my clutch holding tool to show comparison size. Even though I drilled all them holes, it's still a bit lumpy but that's because it's made of 5mm. steel plate rather than 3mm. which would obviously make it almost half as light.(wish I realised that before I started fettling :oops: ) It could possibly be made from 2mm. plate, same as the clutch holding tool, but personally, I would still recommend 3mm.minimum. For those still running short original mounts, the leg would need to be about 1-11/2" longer and bent at right angles so that it would lock against the engine mount lug.

I am not a dealer, just an enthusiast. So if there was enough interest, I could get costs together to get a batch made up. You could source your own 12mm. bolts of a suitable length for your flywheel. The bolt holes do not have to be tapped, :o :oops: :cry: but can be clearance, as there is room, without fouling, to fits nuts behind the tool to lock the bolts in place which improves the bracing of the tool. If that were the case, then if I got some made they could be posted out in a flat Jiffy bag, saving on postage costs.
I am about to alter the drawing with additional hole positions for three window flywheels. I am aware that some Motoplat flywheels have multi angular windowed flywheels, and have not accounted for this type.

Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
RICSPEED

a bit of hose on the threads would be a good idea too to stop then cutting into the flywheel
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
dapper

RICSPEED wrote:a bit of hose on the threads would be a good idea too to stop then cutting into the flywheel
I know. I'd already thought of that, plus they would protect the inside of the toolbox from getting scratched. Protecting the inside of the toolbox is one thing, but hose on the threads would soon get cut/ground up due to the torque required to tighten the flywheel. You could just file off the ends of the threads where they poke through the windows so they were just round bars at the ends.
soulsurfer

I'll have a couple ;-)

I popped into a small engineering workshop and if they were made out of straight flat bar, they wanted £50 for two.... a bit steep methinks, I think the stamping out method may be cheaper, I hope so anyway :-?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
dapper

I'll try and get a price in the next day or two based on a 50 job lot to start in 3mm. plain finish.
soulsurfer

dapper wrote:I'll try and get a price in the next day or two based on a 50 job lot to start in 3mm. plain finish.
Any news on these being made?
dapper

I haven't checked yet, as I was hoping someone would check the distance between the centres of windows on a three hole flywheel for me ( should be the same at @73mm). That way the tool can be used on both types. Not sure if this tool will really suit an engine with short mounts, as I tried it on an engine I have on the bench and as the arm won't lock on the engine bolt with short mounts, the extra length needed for it to lock against the casing may mean it will twist/distort when applying pressure :(
dapper

Popped in to the factory this morning and the boss is on his hols, so it'll be a week or two before I can get costs. Depending on what he says, I'll probably go for a run of 10-20 to start, but will need to know how many out there want one or more. I'll not be supplying the bolts (see previous posts), just the plate.
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

Put me down for one old bean.
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
soulsurfer

Put me down for two
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information