Problems fitting an electronic indian ignition on series 1

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Supereibar

Hello peeps, I am doing a bog standard 150 non framebreather series 1 engine , but installing an indian electronic ignition. Since nobody sells the electronic ignitions for LI taper lately (dont know by which strange reason) I have done the conversion myself using an Li electronic centreboss and replacing the GP existant one with the allen screws.

1- I fitted the stator and the flywheel everything seemed alright. I tightened up the nut and I was able to turn the flywheel fine.

2- I gave it some kicks to appreciate the spark and everything was fine. After a few kicks, I started hearing a sound. I then checked and realized the flywheel was loose.

3- I re-tightened the nut(this time with a torque wrench) then I found that the flywheel turned rock solid. It didnt move a thou.

4- I took the flywheel out then removed the stator. Then placed the flywheel alone on the maghousing just to test and tightened the flywheel again (with 50fp on the torquewrench) The flywheel turned fine without a stator.

Now, my question is:

Do I need machining of the flywheel or is there something else that is wrong in the equation that I am failing to see? The stator seems perfectly fine to me, so does the rest of the engine. In case I need machining, what do I need to do exactly since I dont know really where the flywheel was rubbing against?

Regards and many thanks in advance,

Jaime
soullad
Dealer

try this?

petemaisey

Hi Jaime, two things to check.
The li boss may be too tight inside the new stator.
Some times the flywheel rubs on the stator plate, (3x 10mm head) bolts.

Pete
Supereibar

Cheers for your help lads :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information