Mild engine upgrade options

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
jazzdude
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 Silver Special

I am looking at getting a little more power out of my completely standard LIS 150 and I have not found much information about doing this without increasing the CCs with a new barrel / cylinder kit.

I really want a little more power than what it already has for riding around town. I don't expect to be riding at full speed down the motorway.

As I have small budget (about £500.00) I was wondering what would be a more cost effective solution, a big bore exhaust with a 25mm carb on the existing cylinder, or a new cylinder kit (175/186) using the original SH1 18mm carb and standard exhaust. Doing both seems to be desirable but I really dont think I will need that much power and I dont really want to be changing the crank and ignition system (I am happy with my points setup). I understand that in both cases the inlet and exhaust ports will need checking and polishing.

The current engine is running well as I have already renewed the seals and bearings as well as the chain, the guides and the clutch, it just needs a little more oomph, especially when riding 2 up.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

check out this post:-

http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30452

the actions I've taken on my standard LI150S work very well for not a lot of money and give me that bit extra without going the whole hog on kits.

PM me for any other info

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
jazzdude

Many thanks for that.

I had a look around and cannot find the parts you mentioned in any of the online dealers.

Do you know where I can find a TV 175 barrel and a 186 head on their own? I have found 64mm pistons and they are over £50.00, so it looks like this option may cost for more than the 175 conversions offered by CamLam, Beedspeed etc which are about £115.00.

I don't mind doing the port polishing and smoothing to get these indian kits to work, but not if major engineering is required.

Interesting that the 18mm SH1 worked for you with this setup though and with a Clubman. Was it loud?

Is there an option that can be quieter?
mickjr

http://www.bgm-tuning.com/shop/cylinder ... p-125-150/

there are other small block kits out there,it all comes down to your budget and preffrence
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

An expansion exhaust and a bigger carb' would come in under your budget and give a significant improvement in power.

Just remember when you gain power you tend to sacrifice reliability :(
jazzdude

mick1 wrote:An expansion exhaust and a bigger carb' would come in under your budget and give a significant improvement in power.

Do you mean to run this option on the existing cylinder / piston / head?
goldeneye

175 kit from AF"s, 42mm clubman, 22mm jetex carb, 16 tooth front sprocket, new clutch plates and springs, new chain to suit. about £300 there, leaving 200 quid to play with .
jazzdude

goldeneye wrote:175 kit from AF"s, 42mm clubman, 22mm jetex carb, 16 tooth front sprocket, new clutch plates and springs, new chain to suit. about £300 there, leaving 200 quid to play with .
Do you mean the £200 AF175 kit and is it bolt on or should I budget in some fettling?

I already have new clutch plates and springs, a plastic chain guide and new standard length chain. Will I need a new chain for the 16 tooth front sprocket and what benefit is there with this?
goldeneye

normal cast iron 175 is only 112 quid, match the manifold, and tidy up the inlet and exhaust port, thatll be enough for what you need. you need a longer chain , the 16 tooth will up gear it slightly. (your chain may fit if its stretched)
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

jazzdude wrote:
mick1 wrote:An expansion exhaust and a bigger carb' would come in under your budget and give a significant improvement in power.

Do you mean to run this option on the existing cylinder / piston / head?
yes. obviously any work you can do to the top end will help but the bolt on's will give a definite improvement. There may be issues with gearing but one step at a time eh !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information