BGM Stator Failures

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

.....plus they're not 120 watt either :?

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

Ian Hepworth wrote:
Bilko wrote:For fucks sake I'm not liking this. I've had my 120W BGM stator sat around for a while now and by the time it gets used on the 250 it'll be too late to return if it fails.
BGM offer a 2 year warranty, being a German company they have to.
Less than 4% of stators sold by MB have been returned with problems and all faulty stators have been replaced.
Cheers Ian
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
shocky

not wishing to stir the s**t but i was told that BGM products were made in Taiwan ? and marketed as German !
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Ian Hepworth

shocky wrote:not wishing to stir the s**t
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just fell off my chair laughing at that one.

BGM products are made in Taiwan. I don't think anyone ever said they were made in Germany did they?
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I'll take Taiwan over India every day of the week.
shocky

so would i, im not knocking the fact, most people "believe" there products are German or are unaware there not
Ians reply may lead people to think that though "BGM offer a 2 year warranty, being a German company they have to".whilst i agree it doesnt state BGM make there products in GERMANY it is "leading" do you not think/ Anyway i think 4% is quite high not in comparison to say the cheaper end of the indian "SIL" stators but i wouldnt buy a premium product with a 4% failure rate
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Ian Hepworth

90% of stuff is made in China/Taiwan these days. That doesn't mean it's s**t. Things can be made to certain standards. Apple make all their stuff in China for instance.

When you are in the EU, no matter where you source your stuff from, you have to do things the EU way.
stafford

Got another knackered one to my collection today
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

IMHO a rebuilt SIL item with LML pickup and LT is just about as good as you can get. Even the external pickup items show unsatisfactory waveforms on a 'scope.
Philipp
Dealer

hello,

the failure rate of the bgm stator is much lower than ian quoted. i think i posted the correct failure quote for mark the last time we had a go on the bgm stators. what i can't understand really is, that there are complains in the forum, but nobody gets direct in touch with us.

when you have a faulty stator, please contact us and we will sort it out. but without the feedback of the people who have faulty stators, we can't do nothing to solve this problem. i really would love to get hold of the stator that makes zero to 5 volts, to check what the problem is. i will exchange it for a version that was tested to work.

we are still looking at every single component of the electrical system and found only slightly improvements that could be done to the bgm stator. the tests are not finished and i am not to keen to comment -at this stage of testing- to it. but i will post some first results, to show you that we are seriously looking into this issue. so i will start with our founds on the igntion signal.

when you take the SIL, the old AF/Ducati and the bgm stator and have a look at this, you’ll find different results and that these are affected by other parts of the ignition system. so when you have so many different sources of the CDI unit you might never predict what can or will happen.

once the SIL stator is rewound and working, it gives an ignition signal that works. but do you remember the problems that were found in the 'before bgm stator plate area'? the ignition was something like the Achilles heel for a reliable working Lambretta. with original AF/Ducati ignitions fetching silly money. on the Indian ones you were never sure if the pickup and field coil go bang or not. (we recently had a few customers before the Euro with problems on the Indian one. the problems were cured with fitting the bgm one and they arrived.) to get a reliable working stator plate was our intention with the bgm stator plate. and to my knowledge this is achieved. if you are not satisfied, please get in contact!

for our testing we have fitted the old AF/Ducati stator with a OEM Piaggio pickup. (be aware there are two qualities of the OEM Piaggio pickups available. a cheaper versions made in India and a version made in Italy. the retail price of the Italian version of the Pickup only was 45 €!) with the testing of the AF/Ducati we found that the stator plate wasn’t able for high revving engines (10.000 rpm and more). this can be cured if you take one of the copper plates at the field coil away. There are two (2 mm and 3mm) take the 3 mm one off and it revs happily even beyond 10.000 rpm.

the SIL one has the plates made of alloy which has a higher resistance, so it happily revs. and the ignition signal works even with flywheels where the magnetism has gone because of that.

the energy for the ignition signal of the bgm stator is in between the SIL and the AF/Ducati one if you take the maximum reading. the energy that is made low the rev range is much higher though than on the AF/Ducati and the SIL. good for easy starting and efficient burning low down the rev range.

so in the end they all work, but there still is the questions of reliability. and what can be seen is that even the famous old AF one can be improved upon.

we have checked the CDI units as well. we took the blue OEM Ducati one and some pattern ones to see what happens. they all worked. one of Chinese origin was even better at high revs than the Ducati one. because of the smaller charging condenser with only 1µF used the energy at really high revs is not breaking down so much as on the other systems. But once again I think the key issue on ignition systems is long term reliability. so you are maybe happier with the OEM Ducati one that costs.

i have attached some screenshots of the pickup signal readings.

AF/Ducati Pickup signal at 3.000 rpm

bgm Pickup signal under load at 6.000 rpm

SIL Pickup signal at 3.000 rpm

cheers philipp
philipp@scooter-center.com
0049 (0) 2238 -307459
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information