BGM Stator Failures

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dirtyhandslopez

MarkH wrote:I'm not really sure how you came to that conclusion.

The overwhelming majority of customers have something they like. Every product ever made has a rate of failure. Ian has stated MBs (though I am not sure if that is a true failure rate or simply a return rate), Philipp has stated Scooter Centers as being significantly less than MBs and I can tell you that ours is exactly zero. We had to replace one pickup on one stator that came from the very first batch. No returns and no complaints since. If you are not happy with the product than you should return it to the dealer. If the dealer won't help you than your complaint should really be with their service. In that case, take it up with the distributor.

The BGM products are constantly evolving and improving in an effort to make them as good as possible. There is a lot of hard work, effort and real dedication by some very good people going into these Lambretta products. I think BGM has shown that they are committed to producing the best product possible and are always willing to listen and respond to any and all feedback.
But Mark, generally peeps in this country aren't doing the milage that peeps from other country's are doing. Trucking is a popular thing here due to the distances involved. What electronic set up were you using on the Cannonball? Did it let you down?
Not saying one is better than the other and by all means development of new products for our shopping scoots is a good thing. Nothing improves without testing and getting feedback. Thank you for your efforts Phillip and Mark.
That's not going anywhere...
MarkH
Dealer

People are entitled to their opinions about what they think works best. Even the shittiest of products can have some measure of success.

The implication was made that these were released before testing which is simply not true.

BGM stators didn't exist when I rode across the US. The only option was a rewired SIL stator which is now happily resting on a shelf in the shop. But like Al said, the amount of work that goes into making that SIL stator reliable ends up costing you more than what you get out of the box with the BGM. Feedback is great as long as it makes it's way back to the people who need to know.
Dazza
Main scooter: S3 LI Rapido 225

corrado wrote:My combination of BGM stator and Ducati regulator blows all the bulbs. Changed back to SIL stator with same Ducati regulator and all is fine. BGM say my regulator is faulty. Discuss?
I'd say BGM were right, maybe a component is breaking down inside the regulator ,the output from the SIL stator not high enough to cause problems but the higher output from the BGM causing the component to fail further and pass more voltage through?
If it aint broke.........tinker with it.....
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Dazza wrote:
corrado wrote:My combination of BGM stator and Ducati regulator blows all the bulbs. Changed back to SIL stator with same Ducati regulator and all is fine. BGM say my regulator is faulty. Discuss?
I'd say BGM were right, maybe a component is breaking down inside the regulator ,the output from the SIL stator not high enough to cause problems but the higher output from the BGM causing the component to fail further and pass more voltage through?
There are better regulators aswell on the market.I use one similar if not the same as the small one used on Parmakit ignitions.
firekdp

Dazza wrote:
Agreed, the problem can only be down to a faulty regulator.
firekdp

Philipp wrote:If we get back to the bgm stator, we have used the Vespa Cosa winding of the coils for the HP version. We have done a prototype using a contact breakers back plate and riveted the Cosa coils to it. Like Mark has invented it back in the 80’s with P-range coils. This was a straight conversion and we were able to power bulbs connection which summed up to 120W

You say you used the Cosa windings, I can't find the manufacturers output rating for this but most sources seemed to state that it was a 90W stator, at that time, and this seems to tally with what people are finding. So although you managed to light 120W of lamps, did you actually measure the voltage/current at the time of the test to confirm that the circuit was actually dissipating 120W.
Philipp wrote:This gives AC and DC power output. We hope to have it produced later this year. But sadly these things are not as easy. The aim is to have the AC power output with a SENSE function. For this you have to do (on a first sight) strange connection from the power IN to the AC power out. But this connection is used to tell the regulator how much load is on the consumer. If the readings drop the regulator gives more for it. A bridge direct at the regulator is fine. This regulator should enable you to convert all bikes to DC, regardless if a AC or DC loom is used.

Interesting. Is this going to be a series regulator rather than the current shunt type? If it is how different is it to the Vespa DC one or Tympanium's.
wlightning

Just back from cleethorpes and my bike feels like it is brakeing down at about 5500rpm but is fine at 7000-8000 will get this checked out by guy T also 2years ago on way to IOW the pick up came of and did weld its self to fly wheel (it took 3hrs for recovery on a m way slip way not funny) this was due to a self tapper being used and not glued in at all did put this on the site
mark

Must admit we pulled a pick up of a new bgm stator And it was held in by a self tapper in a 6mm threaded hole. We were shocked
Speed Demon
Dealer

Have you ever taken a Piaggio one off?

Self tapper....
Get to SULK
firekdp

Sticky, out of interest, do you know how the testing of the output was done? Did they measure the voltage/current to confirm the wattage output?
If what Phillip is saying is correct, they used the windings from another stator marketed by everyone else as 90W, but claimed the same windings now gave 120W. This to me sounds like a deliberate case of mis selling. Many people only bought the stator because of it's claimed 120W output, would they have done so if they knew it was in effect a 90W cosa one?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information