Lectron Carbs

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
willwander

drunkmunkey6969 or Shaun, See you have/had a Lectron on the race bike.

I used to run a Lectron on my TS1 200 way back, used to run well, I think its a 40-38 although I'm not sure.
Rebuilding the scooter now after its laid dormant in the shed for 20 years.
Have you any info on Lectron setup?
Do you know of suppliers of Lectron Metering Rod's? I could also do with a new power jet float bowl, the old one got a bit melted on an exhaust.

Ta
standing mile: 118.6mph
1/4 mile: 14.04 seconds - 93mph
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

willwander wrote:drunkmunkey6969 or Shaun, See you have/had a Lectron on the race bike.

I used to run a Lectron on my TS1 200 way back, used to run well, I think its a 40-38 although I'm not sure.
Rebuilding the scooter now after its laid dormant in the shed for 20 years.
Have you any info on Lectron setup?
Do you know of suppliers of Lectron Metering Rod's? I could also do with a new power jet float bowl, the old one got a bit melted on an exhaust.

Ta
We tried on on the race bike, despite the hype, it didnt flow any better or perform any better than the cheaper and more readily available Mikuni carbs.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
MarkH
Dealer

Performance is on par with the Mikuni but the setup is far easier.
teamsequipe
Main scooter: GP200E Ron Moss Supertuned !

Lent mine to David Blythe to play with, which reminds me................ David !?
Old Lambrettas Never die ..................... they just go Faster !

Ron Moss says "Supertune it !"
drunkmunkey6969

MarkH wrote:Performance is on par with the Mikuni but the setup is far easier.
We didnt find that to be the case when we dynoed the race bike back-2-back.

Plus Lectron parts are more scarce in UK, and more expensive, and less set-up data is available.

There's nothing about a Lectron that makes it worth the extra expense for either the carb or the spares against a Mikuni.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
156 D

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
MarkH wrote:Performance is on par with the Mikuni but the setup is far easier.
We didnt find that to be the case when we dynoed the race bike back-2-back.

Plus Lectron parts are more scarce in UK, and more expensive, and less set-up data is available.

There's nothing about a Lectron that makes it worth the extra expense for either the carb or the spares against a Mikuni.
....the thing is Dan, despite the hype, you never used the Lectron under the conditions to which it is more favourable ....have you forgotten a lot of the racers on the Isle of Man TT use the Lectron because of it`s better performance adapting instantly to the higher altitudes over the mountains, the colder, thinner, moist air, less oxygenated air, all of which alter the mixture and therefore performance......your back to back set -up was only probably at 6 foot above sea level and stayed at that....i am sorry but you cannot generalise when all your races are at a given altitude as your existing carb. can be adjusted to suit......it is the ability to drive constantly at different heights above sea level that make this carb. better than the rest and so have to pay the money for the extra privalege, if that is what you use it for....you only get what you pay for!!....of course just a miserable trip on a dyno or 10 laps around a race track will not yield it`s advantages, so please be fair...........sorry............
Nostalgia is a thing of the past!....
drunkmunkey6969

156 D wrote:....the thing is Dan, despite the hype, you never used the Lectron under the conditions to which it is more favourable ....have you forgotten a lot of the racers on the Isle of Man TT use the Lectron because of it`s better performance adapting instantly to the higher altitudes over the mountains, the colder, thinner, moist air, less oxygenated air, all of which alter the mixture and therefore performance......your back to back set -up was only probably at 6 foot above sea level and stayed at that....i am sorry but you cannot generalise when all your races are at a given altitude as your existing carb. can be adjusted to suit......it is the ability to drive constantly at different heights above sea level that make this carb. better than the rest and so have to pay the money for the extra privalege, if that is what you use it for....you only get what you pay for!!....of course just a miserable trip on a dyno or 10 laps around a race track will not yield it`s advantages, so please be fair...........sorry............
I didnt see anything in willwander's post to suggest he is riding round at an altitude significantly above sea level or that he was thinking of entering a TT race? So lets try to annswer willwanders post in a way thats relevant.

Although IF there are a bunch of scooter owners that are riding at high altitudes all the time, AND the marketing blurb/hype in the Lectron adverts is true (eg - at altitude the metering system does do what it says on the tin....i mean who would dream of making a claim in an advert that wasnt 100% backed up with scientific results and data??) then maybe these small bunch of scooterists may like to try a Lectron.....if they can afford them and the experimental time/effort/money required to perfect the set-up. Do you have any scientific data to suggest the metering system does what it says on the tin and does 'instantly' change mix at altitudes? Or done any tests of your own? If so, start up a new thread so all the high altitude scooterists can see the info....it could be the answer to their prayers!

But, regardless of the high altitude hype, i think you miss the point.......for the majority of scooterists out there the Lectron is simply an expensive folly, and even if you can get one cheap/free......the setup data is limited, and the parts expensive. These facts remain true regardless of whatever altitude you ride at. On race setups they also have (similar to the Mikuni) a mid-range lean spot which is difficult to iron out. So of course you get what you pay for.......but are Dellorto carbs not much cheaper yet still great quality?? And probably also more applicable for most scooter riders?

So as i say, for most 'regular' scooter riders Dellortto's are great carbs, Mikunis remain cheaper than Lectron, and both have a larger wealth of set-up data and more easily available and cheaper parts than Lectron......fact.
dirtyhandslopez

I thought they were worth all that extra money because of the see through float bowl :?
That's not going anywhere...
156 D

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
156 D wrote:....the thing is Dan, despite the hype, you never used the Lectron under the conditions to which it is more favourable ....have you forgotten a lot of the racers on the Isle of Man TT use the Lectron because of it`s better performance adapting instantly to the higher altitudes over the mountains, the colder, thinner, moist air, less oxygenated air, all of which alter the mixture and therefore performance......your back to back set -up was only probably at 6 foot above sea level and stayed at that....i am sorry but you cannot generalise when all your races are at a given altitude as your existing carb. can be adjusted to suit......it is the ability to drive constantly at different heights above sea level that make this carb. better than the rest and so have to pay the money for the extra privalege, if that is what you use it for....you only get what you pay for!!....of course just a miserable trip on a dyno or 10 laps around a race track will not yield it`s advantages, so please be fair...........sorry............
I didnt see anything in willwander's post to suggest he is riding round at an altitude significantly above sea level or that he was thinking of entering a TT race? So lets try to annswer willwanders post in a way thats relevant.

Although IF there are a bunch of scooter owners that are riding at high altitudes all the time, AND the marketing blurb/hype in the Lectron adverts is true (eg - at altitude the metering system does do what it says on the tin....i mean who would dream of making a claim in an advert that wasnt 100% backed up with scientific results and data??) then maybe these small bunch of scooterists may like to try a Lectron.....if they can afford them and the experimental time/effort/money required to perfect the set-up. Do you have any scientific data to suggest the metering system does what it says on the tin and does 'instantly' change mix at altitudes? Or done any tests of your own? If so, start up a new thread so all the high altitude scooterists can see the info....it could be the answer to their prayers!

But, regardless of the high altitude hype, i think you miss the point.......for the majority of scooterists out there the Lectron is simply an expensive folly, and even if you can get one cheap/free......the setup data is limited, and the parts expensive. These facts remain true regardless of whatever altitude you ride at. On race setups they also have (similar to the Mikuni) a mid-range lean spot which is difficult to iron out. So of course you get what you pay for.......but are Dellorto carbs not much cheaper yet still great quality?? And probably also more applicable for most scooter riders?

So as i say, for most 'regular' scooter riders Dellortto's are great carbs, Mikunis remain cheaper than Lectron, and both have a larger wealth of set-up data and more easily available and cheaper parts than Lectron......fact.

.......i think Dan , it is you that has missed MY point.....i am not arguing but "black is black" and you having the ability to turn my words or thoughts inside out due to your journalistic training or whatever.....i never mentioned "willander" at all and i can read..... i was talking about your post where he asked if you had any Lectron set-up info and this is what you said......

"We didnt find that to be the case when we dynoed the race bike back-2-back.

There's nothing about a Lectron that makes it worth the extra expense for either the carb or the spares against a Mikuni"

..........and that is all you said as you have never tested it properly, you said you was going to, and it went on for weeks just before this new site opened so therefore you cannot generalise as you have about a Lectron.....if "willander" or other scooter owners did live at high altitudes and stayed up there they still wouln`t have to have a Lectron would they as the carb. they use would be jetted to suit but the advantages would be seen if he had a Lectron and then he drove all the way down to the beach at sea level as it would adjust the mixture without him even knowing.......i have read a lot about the Americans using the Lectron and preferring it to others, they too can have Mikuni`s but a lot of the racers don`t .......a fact also...........

....a wealth of parts here......http://www.datafan.com/

....and here.....http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/
Nostalgia is a thing of the past!....
drunkmunkey6969

Cool, thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information