SPLUTTERING TS1

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Woodsy12

I have just built my MB TS1 225 (stage 2 tuned) engine, Yamaha reed block from MB, Dev tour exhaust, PHBH carb pre jetted by MB for running in. It starts well, ticks over but as soon as I drive it it splutters really badly off the throttle and from then on and it doesn't really clear. I have tried air mixture, smaller pilot jets, needle clip adjustment, NOTHING makes any difference. Has anyone with a bit more experience than me had this problem or recognise the symptoms. Is there something else I should be checking. I know that the head and base of cylinder have no leaks but black unburned oily shite is coming out of my exhaust in spades. I'M STUCK!
tarmac tickler

check the readings from the stator mate, seems like your pick or coil is on the blink , in fact i will have a quid on it that is the problem..
Woodsy12

Cheers, I am running an Indian electronic until my new 'Ultimate' variotronic kit arrives on 10 week back order from italy. It is a year old and I wouldn't be surprised it it is dodgy, they look home made when new. What equipment do I need to 'take a reading' of the stator / coil?
sean brady scooters
Dealer

check that your choke is working properly...ie ,shutting off and closing .
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Woodsy12

Cheers, the choke piston does fully open and close but whether open or closed, the engine still splutters.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

it could be a main seal prob,but without checking and eliminating a few other things first ,its debatable... :D
do you know what atomiser /diffuser you have in your carb...?
i only mention this as often they are supplied on the very rich side for running in purposes...
Woodsy12

Atomiser is an AU266
Woodsy12

Ref main seal problem, I really hope not, it is a brand new crank from Cam Lam with new seals and bearings, all lightly oiled before assembly.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

put your spectacles on matey...i,m pretty sure that would be AV 266 :lol:
Woodsy12

You're right, AV266, it is Broadhurst's scribble on the carb box.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information