best crank

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
J1MS

When a new performance crank is bought or assembled, does anyone ever check to see if it has the correct end float prior to fitting.

in 98, I payed to have a 58mm stroke crank built up with a Vespa APE rod, It was wrong from the off. I gave it back and had it reassembled correctly with a new big end bearing fitted.
dirtyhandslopez

The last SIL/rd crank I had built, the conrod was a little tight in the webs. Had had a little taken off the rod, a little taken of the webs and had shims fitted. The rod wouldn't fully drop when pushed over from straight up.
I asked the machineist if that was going to be alright, thinking it was too tight. he smiled and said "that's what you want and are looking for" .
So, I installed it in a 200/rapido/jetski motor and thrashed the hell out of it for a year with absolutely no probs, long hard runs, the lot. Took it apart to put a new set of rings in and low and behold if there wasn't 15thou side play at the big end. Shims were still in place and nothing was blued. It wore it's own sideplay. No shims at piston end. Air box, no filter.
So who knows. :?
That's not going anywhere...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information