MOT help SCOOTRS IGNITION no front light

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
druist

MOT next week, i purchased the

http://scootrs.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=744

and i cannot get my main light working, interestingly if they mean the festoon as the parking light - to be done away with that work and as its an powerful led one i dont really want to lose it but anything to get though my MOT

i wonder if its the strange combination of the yellow with 3 blacks or the green lead with jointed earth - do I separate these?

my GP is an old indian with a setup not like later indians a DL with electronic ignition.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

the difference with the ScootRS ignition switches is that there is one less position. So you can either ride with the lights off [and with the brake light & horn working of course] or all the lights on. You can keep the led festoon.
Sounds like you're not getting any power going to the handlebar switch [which then sends this to either the main or dip].
The joined yellow & black wires are all connected in the final key position to the brown wire on the ignition switch. You should have this connected to the brown from the loom that is bringing the power up.
So of the three :
stick one in the festoon [non earth side of course],
one in a three way connector that also then has the black from the loom that goes to the rear lamp and the speedo light
and the final one connect to the [often orange] wire that goes to the switch.
hth
byron

is was a couple a years ago that I fitted mine [still working fine], but from my notes it seems like the green may have had a spade connector for earth ?
In the "off" position this green wire is connected to the black/white one. So you need to connect this black/white one to the green from your CDI to earth it and kill the sparks.
oh I changed all the bullet connectors for ones that actually fitted in the bulb holder.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

druist

thanks guys, my ignition, horn, festoon, speedo, rear light and all else work but not my front main light, thanks for the link Corrado it looks the same as Coaster sent which I can make it out to an extend its just the 2 of those 3 blacks are coloured black/yellow, black/white and just black, can these just go in the 3 black holes on the right?

When i had the previous ignition in i think the blue made the main light work - though maybe it was another, this is all that I am missing (except my other problem which isnt related to this ignition re the front brake-rear light)

I can only see i have one wire i havent put in right or one connected in the wrong place

BRYON - i opened my connectors out a bit so they fit better, thought god knows why they dont fit in the first place.
byron

the ignition switch only really makes/breaks two connections.

in the off position the green wire connects to black/white, earthing the CDI.
in the other two positions they are not connected.

in the last position the brown wire connects to the yellow, and so onto the three yellow & black ends. think of these as feeding the power for the lights. don't put them all in the 3-way connector, they're all connected already

what is the [orange?] wire from the light switch connected to ? it should be to one of those three

so if you can switch the lights [other than the headlamp] on with the last key position, you must be nearly there.
druist

I have some photos if any can play spot the wrong cable, thanks
byron

Good Game. I'm playing. got the pics drew
you have nothing connected to the orange wire that goes to the handlebar switch, so no power is going to it to then be switched to the main/dip bulb.
where does the black/yellow go that exits top left ?
try connecting that to the orange one
is the black with the red crimp going to the rear lamp ?
what else is in that 3-way connector ?
and you need the black/white one plugged in next to the green.
and I'd probably make some of those connections more sound
druist

Bryon, think i am having some problems with the connections - where can i get those good bullet connecors which look similar to the ones on their but are bigger? I have plugged that yellow/blk one in where you said. I only have one out of the three earths on the throttle side,
byron

druist wrote:where can i get those good bullet connectors ?
I have bought some from Jem Booth at parts fairs, these always fit perfectly; recently got some from Taffspeed http://www.taffspeed.co.uk/shop/index.p ... oductId=49 , haven't used these yet, but they seem to be the correct size and fit the bulb holder securely.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information