4 Stroke carbs

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
YAMLAM

win or lose have a booze
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Norrie Bodge wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:32 am Old thread I kno ?
Just acquired one of these carbs, anyone know what motorcycle are fitted with these?

Cheers
I can't think why anybody would want to use one, but when certain Japanese motorcycles were manufactured in Italy, the 'rules' probably stipulated that there was a percentage of home grown content.

For instance, the Italian built Honda 'Foxeye' NSR125 has them fitted.

Dell'Orto do make some excellent carbs specifically for two strokes, & I personally have several, including the old VHB's converted to two stroke. The PH round slide range is not one of the good products for performance two strokes & I doubt you will ever see one on any race scooter. Read any decent book on the subject of tuning two strokes & you will see why the likes of Keihin, Lectron, Magnum & Mikuni reign supreme except where there are specific rules prohibiting the use of other manufacturers, like in Karting, where in the Rotax classes the VHBC range are mandatory

The PH range work, after a fashion, but they are never going to be as responsive as a grown up carburettor. As it's design criteria was intended for a four stroke, but the manufacturer, realising the profit gains (as round slide carbs are always cheaper to produce) managed to pull the wool over a lot of people's eyes.

I bet they absolutely love a lot of our UK Lambretta 'home tuners' :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information