Punctures

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

So, I ride a pushbike with the tyres at 50-60psi. A thorn punctures the tyre. I repair it, pump it back up to 50-60psi and carry on.

My scooter tyres are at 18-28psi. A thorn causes a puncture and the considered opinion is to replace the tube.

Discuss.
Stebbelaner
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

I suppose it's speed related and therefore the increased danger of having a repair fail.
Saying that,I ride a Beta 350 enduro with patched tubes and that's far faster than my Lambretta😲
essexgp
Main scooter: Indian Gp200 Indian Gp Cutdown

I don't think i would trust an inner tube that has been patched up
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

essexgp wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:37 pm I don't think i would trust an inner tube that has been patched up
If it was uncontained like a balloon, maybe.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I have absolutely no problem with patches on inner tubes. On scooters, bicycles or motorbikes. I use the Rema ones which are excellent.
I think part of the wariness comes from a lack of understanding what the patch does. It's not stuck on there with a bit of glue, it's fused on there forever.

I would not ever trust a tubeless tyre that has been plugged, other than getting me home or to somewhere where I can get the tyre replaced. We noticed a noise in the car once that I traced to a bulge in a moderately new tyre. I took it to a trusted garage as I didn't know if the car was faulty and caused the tyre to bulge, or just the tyre was faulty. The mechanic pointed to a plug and said that was the problem. When a tubeless tyre is plugged it cuts the wires and the fibres holding the carcass together and eventually the pull through and the tyre fails.

So, patches on inner tubes, no problem. Plugs in tyres, no way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information