Lambretta Workshops In The Northwest.

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Andy_S
Main scooter: SIL Lambretta GP200

The one in Chester was called Auto-Mota Sales, and interestingly, a new scooter shop (Saxon Scooters) opened last year, next door to what used to be Deeside Scooters in Queensferry.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Cav wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm This post got me thinking and reminiscing. Who on here (from the North West) remembers Lizzie Smolenz the Rock Ferry Vespa dealers, Turners of Merseyside (see above re Barry Turner), Deeside Scooters in Queensferry, The dealership (sorry can't recall the official name) in the centre of Chester. Jeepers, just visiting those shops was an occasion in itself. Often bumping into friends, sometime enemies too !!....................
I don’t recall the Smolens place on Old Chester Road. I was too young as they went into liquidation around ‘74. But, a couple of years back, I did some research to find out where the shop was. This was it:

Len Turners, as I am sure you know, moved to Little Sutton. They closed perhaps three years back when Geoff and Andy retired. The shop, in its latter years, was a pale shadow of the one you and I remember.
storkfoot

Cav wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:53 pm And Marriotts Motorcycles in Birkenhead, where one of the brothers was Scooter friendly, but it was mostly frequented by Greasers (Rockers). A tough and densely populated part of town where lots of Skinheads were always around. Interactions at Marriotts were often 'interesting' to say the least
Yep. Marriotts is still there in Oxton Road. They do a bit online too. Last time I was there before Christmas, they still had a good supply of bikes.

Are you Cav who used to have a red Serveta?
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

"Are you Cav who used to have a red Serveta?"

Hi Paul, Yep it's me. I tried sending you a PM via this forum a while back but it's stuck in my outbox for some reason. Hope you are going well buddy. Tough times over there just now.
Cav

There was also Shallcross's in Wallasey, and Edwards near New Brighton who rather oddly also sold prams (the old fashioned, full chassis type). The old guy there used to do really great Lambretta full paint jobs, well ahead of his time.
Cav

Marriotts shop back in the old days was right in the centre of Birkenhead, an area demolished in the early 1980's
storkfoot

Cav wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:08 am "Are you Cav who used to have a red Serveta?"

Hi Paul, Yep it's me. I tried sending you a PM via this forum a while back but it's stuck in my outbox for some reason. Hope you are going well buddy. Tough times over there just now.
Sorry, I hadn’t seen your message. I have just replied.
storkfoot

Apologies for high jacking the thread but, Cav, this is the house the Smolens used to live in. It is a well known house just up from the shop near Victoria Park.

As I am sure you know, Elizabeth was well known on the racing trials scene.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information