King of the Clubman’s - Lambretta scooter - Taylor Tuned 33hp touring rally exhaust

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Test ride video: https://youtu.be/ha8Vl14Fego

This right here is a 33hp RB252 Lambretta fitted with a Clubman exhaust, which pulls 4.4 gearing, cruises at 20mph in 5th gear at just 1800rpm and can be rolled on in the same gear to hit just under 90mph when you stretch its legs. If you don’t quite comprehend what this engine is achieving, it can be very easy to overlook it. But once you start to look at the numbers, and then actually ride the thing… the story starts to unravel.

I’ll cut to the chase and go straight in with the numbers... this test ride took place on an RB252 engine, running a filtered 39mm Dellorto (that isn’t the recommended carb/size – that’s just what this owner had available)a 5-speed gearbox with 4.4 final drive, and is fitted with a clubman box pipe. It kicks out circa 33hp and 26ft-lbs but the most astonishing thing is the fact that you can ride this scooter in 5th gear at 20mph (1800rpm) and then roll on the throttle and take it up to an easy 80mph, and beyond that, if you don’t run out of road! So the scooter has a 60-70mph speed range in just one gear! Of course, you can go to the other end of the spectrum with it and just launch the thing through every gear, and believe me… it pulls! But not in the usual way often associated with tuned scooters where there is a rather underwhelming first few thousand RPM, before the thing launches like a scalded cat and rips your arms off. No, this is a torque driven power delivery and from only 3000rpm it already has 15ft-lbs, 4000rpm is 20ftlbs, and it peaks at 6000rpm with 26ft-lb. The bhp peak is at 7000rpm, but will rev-on to 8000rpm. This combination of torque and bhp, balanced in that way, is what contributes to it being possibly the smoothest and most flexible/user-friendly engine I have ever ridden (as far as classic air-cooled 2-strokes go). Oh, and did I mention that it can also return up to 60mpg if ridden sensibly?

The full report and graph will be printed in September Scootering, where we will examine the details behind it all. But for now, just take a look at the test ride video, where I exercise restraint and pootle along at 20mph in 5th gear, before cutting loose and launching through all the gears to stretch its legs.

It’s also worth noting, that with a JL-TT race pipe on, this is a 41+hp engine… but would then completely lack this type of power delivery under 5250rpm and could not return 60mpg either! Oh, and in case you were wondering, there is no crankcase porting on this engine either! The clubman pipe, and the designer's understanding of it, is what makes the biggest difference to power delivery on this machine. The exhaust is currently exclusive to Darrell Taylor, and is being reserved for the engine build packages which he completes for his customer base, and is therefore not available separately at this time. Be sure not to miss the full feature in the magazine. A BIG thank you to Eric Cope, owner of this fine scooter, for arranging the test ride.

Fancy a 265cc TType engine?
Well, Darrell has decided that his premier engine package (to date) will be his 265cc engine running a 72mm bore x 65mm stroke (with no crankcase porting) and will be available in both a high BHP road/race trim (43hp & 28ft-lbs) with an expansion chamber, and flexible touring mode like the scooter above (36hp & 26ft-lbs) with a Clubman. Customers can elect to have either engine characteristics at any time by simply swapping the pipe and gearing. Unbelievable Jeff! See the full story in September Scootering Magazine, get your subscription here: https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/promotion/sco200

#taylortuned #clubman #ttype #tuning #squish #ignition #exhaust #compressionratio #lambretta #vespa #scooter #tuning #2stroke #scooteringmagazine #scooterist #scooterrally
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

one question how would this exhaust work with 1 a standard scooter 2 with a mildly tuned and 3 with a mugello ,rt etc would be great to be able to do less gearchanges
drunkmunkey6969

nick b wrote:one question how would this exhaust work with 1 a standard scooter 2 with a mildly tuned and 3 with a mugello ,rt etc would be great to be able to do less gearchanges
Good question! Darrell is the man to answer that...

However, as I understand it, the particular version of the pipe shown in the video is RB specific and Darrell isn’t yet offering them as standalone items, I believe they can only be bought with his engine package.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:26 pm Test ride video: https://youtu.be/ha8Vl14Fego

Fancy a 265cc TType engine?
Well, Darrell has decided that his premier engine package (to date) will be his 265cc engine running a 72mm bore x 65mm stroke (with no crankcase porting) and will be available in both a high BHP road/race trim (43hp & 28ft-lbs) with an expansion chamber, and flexible touring mode like the scooter above (36hp & 26ft-lbs) with a Clubman. Customers can elect to have either engine characteristics at any time by simply swapping the pipe and gearing. Unbelievable Jeff! See the full story in September Scootering Magazine, get your subscription here: https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/promotion/sco200

#taylortuned #clubman #ttype #tuning #squish #ignition #exhaust #compressionratio #lambretta #vespa #scooter #tuning #2stroke #scooteringmagazine #scooterist #scooterrally

if Darrells clubman is the king , is the BGM the Turkey/ Lemmon of clubmans then?

it could be something else to others but my GT 240 with BGM clubman /30 mm phbh / sx 200 4.8.1 gearing , bgm ignition is the worst vehicle ive ever ridden ,to be fair Darrel said the engine would "gas up" with this exhaust when i ordered the Carb off him for this motor .

it seizes for fun around 45-50 done about 100 miles ,an nobody can say its this or that causing it the carb/pipe/ignition/ gearbox and my riding style have been hinted at or blamed despite being back at dealers who built it for 8 months .cylinder even went back to manufacture for tolerance checks , allegedly . so your recent videos have been of great interest especially anything that causes heat build up /poor performance that might relate to my issues

So fancy a 265 you bet! ive thrown the baby out so to speak and took advantage of the discounts at oiltek and RLC recently and have a part built 265 SST coming from RLC to go with the Cyclone 5 i got from oiltek and the Casa ducati ignition i already had when told the above bgm ignition maybe suspect . the appeal of the SST engine is everything is designed to work together not like the GT240 which was more hope and see if turns out ok.

did you ever come across the GT240 kits at all any thoughts ? they( GT) were notable by their absence from your carb set up pt 3 vid

the OCD bit of me doesnt like to be defeated so wondering if Darells the man to look at the gt motor i wont use it myself but selling a working problem free engine is a better proposition than breaking for parts and ebaying it
wintermod65

oops my post above should have said its done a 1000 miles , think the run period is 250 miles according to the gt instruction document
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

just another thing on these exhausts ,i live in spain and any non standard part is a automatic itv[mot] failure i get round it by running an ancillotti which as you all know looks totally standard ,i would defo be interested in a standard looking exhaust that took out a few gear changes as i live in a hilly come semi montainous area iam forever going through gear changes which can be an arse ache
drunkmunkey6969

wintermod65 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:37 pm oops my post above should have said its done a 1000 miles , think the run period is 250 miles according to the gt instruction document
sent you a PM
wintermod65

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:29 pm
wintermod65 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:37 pm oops my post above should have said its done a 1000 miles , think the run period is 250 miles according to the gt instruction document
sent you a PM

hi thanks

pmd reply
cheers again
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

... sounds frustrating. I hope that you get on better with the SST.
wintermod65

Adam_Winstone wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:30 pm ... sounds frustrating. I hope that you get on better with the SST.
i do too , it was a close call new engine or new bike , as had my eye on a triumph street scrambler 1200 , but decided to give the scooter one last go in hope of getting things right .

you have to draw a line somewhere so im all in on this one ,failure is not an option as i will have spent just south of £30k since i started restoration in 2017 , thats parts paint an labour an cost of scooter ( £1800)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information