Daily touring mileage

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
steveg

hat wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:20 pm bear in mind as well, on a std tank you're doing 50 miles or so before you hit reserve so even a 200 mile day is probably 4 fuel stops
As one of our group often says " no point having a 100 mile tank when I've got a 60 mile arse"
We usually aim for around 70 miles between stops
carlos fandango

Ive done quite a few long trips ....the rule of of thumb i use is 30 miles per hour on A roads , 40 mph on motorways, this is taking into account quick ish fill ups, having the odd petrol station coffee and sandwich etc. .....smaller grouped like minded riders can be quicker , larger groups slower :)
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
carlos fandango

Re accomodation ....we never (rarely) book .....just usually when we've had enough and know where we're going to end up, we just get on Booking and look for something .....99% of the time this works well , it means if you do have 'issues' then you don't have to get to your planned destination and can find accomodation sooner ........or if you're doing well ....travel further than planned.
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

steveg wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 pm
hat wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:20 pm bear in mind as well, on a std tank you're doing 50 miles or so before you hit reserve so even a 200 mile day is probably 4 fuel stops
As one of our group often says " no point having a 100 mile tank when I've got a 60 mile arse"
I like that, very true. Unless you’ve all got long range tanks (or arses), you’re all stopping every time regardless of what you’re riding
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

steveg wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 pm
I've said the same thing on many occassion, after 60 miles, even with an airhawk, my backside and back are ready for a break
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I met a guy in Italy last year who had ridden from Brighton (to Livorno, near Pisa), about 900 miles.
He said he had qualified for the 1000miles in 24 hours challenge.

I suppose technically it's feasible on a Lambretta!

So, 150 miles for a good day, 200 miles for a slog? It's about 150 miles from here to the IOW. I guess I don't get lost, or spend much time admiring the view, but it feels a nice day's ride.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

2 top Lambretta days for me have been Avignon to Orleans (c.a. 430 miles) and Caen to Langenthal (c.a. 500 miles). Avignon done on my Avanti TT3 but with a Suzuki 190 and a ported iron 175! Langenthal done on my own, riding a home tuned iron 225. Both were back and ass breaking!

A good day mileage for a group is about 250 miles, whereas a comfortable day is about 200-250.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

What about 2 Stroke oil? Is it recommended to carry it all from home or is it plentiful in France, and Italy? I imagine it's OK in Italy, but what about France?
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I take what I think I need, 5 litres will cover approx 1,500 miles. Pain as it's a lot of weight but at least it gets lighter the further you travel
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

EddieStone wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:45 pm What about 2 Stroke oil? Is it recommended to carry it all from home or is it plentiful in France, and Italy? I imagine it's OK in Italy, but what about France?
You can often find 2-Stroke oil in French supermarkets.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information