Motorcycle options ??

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

Starting a new job soon which means I`ll have to commute about 15/20 mins away down a motorway and fast A roads for shift work ....and in all weathers which doesnt bother me .....I`ve got 3 lammys ( 2 on the road and one nearly there )....Pretty much been a lifelong scooterist and all that ....only ridden a few bikes in my time ...crossers ...a diversion 900 ...and will never be "into " bikes

Anyone got any recommendations of what to NOT to buy for commuting .....
I want to be able to fix it / service it myself ...I`m pretty handy ....been looking at cat N and X salvage stuff to start with .....ie around the 1k mark

One of the lammys will have to go :o will break my heart

GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

nellyboyo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:57 pm Starting a new job soon which means I`ll have to commute about 15/20 mins away down a motorway and fast A roads for shift work ....and in all weathers which doesnt bother me .....I`ve got 3 lammys ( 2 on the road and one nearly there )....Pretty much been a lifelong scooterist and all that ....only ridden a few bikes in my time ...crossers ...a diversion 900 ...and will never be "into " bikes

Anyone got any recommendations of what to NOT to buy for commuting .....
I want to be able to fix it / service it myself ...I`m pretty handy ....been looking at cat N and X salvage stuff to start with .....ie around the 1k mark

One of the lammys will have to go :o will break my heart

.have you thought of an auto? scomadi or GTS,i thought i'd never say it tbh but have been thinking along these lines for winter as recently had to use my 2 monzas as daily riders and it didn't do them any good.At least you can do your fixing/servicing/general maintanance bit yourself and you might even find a dealer who will part ex your lammy.just an idea for you
the man don't give a f@@k
warts
Main scooter: honda

I've had the same POS honda 125 scooter for about 7 years now. Bought as a parts fetcher for £350.
So far It has cost me one rear tyre, one battery and one oil change. Passed every MOT. Same advisory, bent rear brake lever from the PO dropping it in his shed.

Gets ridden flat out every where, tops out about 63.5mph, and spritely enough to beat cars off away from the lights. Never complains. Brakes are the same nissins as are copied on to all those brake kits. Actually work though. Silencer does, so sounds like a farty bee.
Fuel consumption is on the scant side of parsimonious. But the rear suspension is fairly crap over bad pot holes, not worth replacing though.
Its a brilliant round towner. I have done a 400 mile day on it, first 200 were fine then the seat kicked me in the arse, so not really a long distance machine unless you are used to bikes with crap seats - who would ever put up with that for long?
I spent a few months commuting every day 50 miles cross country while tending my mum when she was dying. Just buzzed along.

There are lots of other jap scooters. You see lots and lots down in southern Europe, usually thrashing around at impressive speeds.

If you want a "proper" bike, there are lots of shops selling 10 yr old ex-superbikes for not much.
My local MOT place has a range about £2000 - 2500. Most don't look like they have been ridden. Some old git and his mid life crisis probably.
Mid size bike of similar vintage, about the same price. But much more likely to have been thrashed.
Shaunbond

My recommendation would be a Honda SH300, I've been using mine for about 6 years now and its got 31k on the clocks but still runs as lovely as it did with 10k on it. Parts are relatively cheap and servicing is an absolute doddle. They'll do a true 80+MPH, cruse at 70+ forever and still return 70+MPG, cheaper tax than a bigger motorbike too. They are comfy and ride really well due to the big wheels, most come with a top box so really practical.

Don't get me wrong, you'll never fall in love with it but you will love it for how good it does whatever you ask of it...
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
Shaunbond

For some reason i cant edit my post... So I'll add it here -

I know its not a "proper" bike but it would be a great solution for you. Bikes are real cheap in comparison to scooters but cost more to run in general. I've just picked up a near mint 1999 ZZR900 for less than a grand with tons of spares, its going to be different but want to do some of the bike races, BSB, WSB, MotoGP next year and don't want to use the scooters due to distance and time restraints...
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
nellyboyo

Yes, thats the sort of comments I need boys .....

Some of the maxi scooters really hold their prices well and look bloody awkward to get at anything

Have seen a Honda ER5 very reasonable ....but , as you say , I`m not bothered whether its a proper bike ... :P just that I don`t have to be fettling it at 5 in the morning on my knees in the rain and dark outside the garage door ...
Marty ULC
Main scooter: curry burner GP225 mugello

Don't buy a Honda deauville.
Whatever anyone tries to tell you they aren't a good first big bike, they're top heavy, overweight and underpowered, you're almost guaranteed to drop the b@5t@rd thing.

An old oil cooled inline 4 suzuki might be a good option.
Marty ULC
Main scooter: curry burner GP225 mugello

Er 5 is a kawasaki, I had their "ninja" 650 which is also a parallel twin, light, decent handling and very nippy, great fun to ride.
nellyboyo

Ha ....and I've seen a few of those deauvilles dead cheap....all with cracked plastics ...ha
warts
Main scooter: honda

Get used to this: Your days of fettling are over as far as Janapese scooters are concerned.

I gave a list of the things done to my honda 125 in a 7 year period. I don't think the PO did even that much, except drop it in his shed - I bought it off his daughter - for his own good - which will happen to us all...
Its a 1999 model btw, so no box fresh spring chicken.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information