Mod 1 and 2 On Scooter

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
pooliepfr
Main scooter: Vespa PX 125

Hi, i'm keen to lose my L plates, but what is the score with doing my Mod 1 and 2 on my Vespa PX125?
tony172
Main scooter: vespa t5

You can do it, no problem. You'll struggle with the speed trap an mod1 if yours is standard, and you'll need mirrors,.
You'll only be able to get an a1 license, meaning restricted to a 125, but-

You'll never have to do a cbt again
You'll never have to use L plates
You can take a passenger
You can travel on the motorway on a 125

I did mine last year.

Costs the same and the tests are exactly the same as a full test, only you don't have to do it on a big bike
Pros and cons, you just have to be sure you'll only have something that's a "125" from now on
pooliepfr

tony172 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:33 pm You can do it, no problem. You'll struggle with the speed trap an mod1 if yours is standard, and you'll need mirrors,.
You'll only be able to get an a1 license, meaning restricted to a 125, but-

You'll never have to do a cbt again
You'll never have to use L plates
You can take a passenger
You can travel on the motorway on a 125

I did mine last year.

Costs the same and the tests are exactly the same as a full test, only you don't have to do it on a big bike
Pros and cons, you just have to be sure you'll only have something that's a "125" from now on
That's great, cheers. Not interested in bigger bikes so all that will suit me fine. And i still have my mirrors on cos i'm brand new to riding and find i use them quite a lot.
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Best of luck with it!
tony172
Main scooter: vespa t5

Good luck buddy, you'll be a better rider for it
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Taking a pillion is the best reason for getting your licence, in my opinion.

It's the reason I got mine.
cliffy
Main scooter: LML Star 125 DLX

Keep us posted on how you get on. Looking at doing an A1 test but read conflicting things as to whether I can do it on my LML. It's off road at the minute but when I get it sorted I'm going to look into getting it done!
Cliffy
Marty ULC
Main scooter: curry burner GP225 mugello

I wouldn't want to take a pillion or go on a motorway on a PX125, they're scarily underpowered, your only advantage is ditching the learner plates and not having to take the CBT again. Doing it on a bigger bike means you can legally get a scooter with a larger engine. If you can use gears on a scooter it's only going to take a few minutes to get the hang of the foot change on a riding school's motorbike.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

as said above the only real issue with taking it on the 125 is the speed trap it will struggle to get there and would be a fail if it didn't get up to the speed.As suggested use a rider school bike have a few lessons with it to get used to it there 125's should do the speed trap or a bigger one of there's a 250? then go back to yours after you've passed.Would be a shame to go through all the effort to not get it through lack of the scooters power.
the man don't give a f@@k
pooliepfr

GTFOMWSC wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:58 am as said above the only real issue with taking it on the 125 is the speed trap it will struggle to get there and would be a fail if it didn't get up to the speed.As suggested use a rider school bike have a few lessons with it to get used to it there 125's should do the speed trap or a bigger one of there's a 250? then go back to yours after you've passed.Would be a shame to go through all the effort to not get it through lack of the scooters power.
What's the speed trap?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information