Welcome to the 21st Century

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Muttley McLadd wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Doom Patrol wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:15 pm Finally I've bit the bullet and swapped my trusty 22mm Dell'orto for a 25mm PHBL. I've always run standard carbs previously. But finally I fitted a kit that needs a bigger carb, and what a difference it makes. It just feels better all round. It remains to be seen if it is any less economical, but to be honest it's probably worth it for the improved quality of the ride.
It's a slippery slope. Next it'll be indicators.. before you know it, a filthy auto will have a place in your garage, and you self respect will be a thing of the past :lol:
Not while I've got my strength. :lol:
Muttley McLadd

Doom Patrol wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:30 pm Not while I've got my strength. :lol:
And when that fails, there's a thing called 'electric start'. :lol:
CakeAndArseParty
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

Doom Patrol wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:15 pm Finally I've bit the bullet and swapped my trusty 22mm Dell'orto for a 25mm PHBL. I've always run standard carbs previously. But finally I fitted a kit that needs a bigger carb, and what a difference it makes. It just feels better all round. It remains to be seen if it is any less economical, but to be honest it's probably worth it for the improved quality of the ride.
I suppose you realise that the sky is now going to fall in on your head chickin licken :D

thats good feedback I've been wavering for a long time about doing this . The one thing that has put me off is working out if the inlet manifold will give sufficient clearance to the carb from the engine mount. It would be good to see an image of your setup
Doom Patrol

I'll see if I can get a picture over the weekend. I'm using the Readspeed manifold and I'm not aware of it being a problem. I must admit I had a bit of a fear of anything over 22mm, which is why I stuck to standard carbs. All these needles and things still seem a bit like black magic, but I'm coming around to the idea, and they do allow for much more precise setting.
Doom Patrol

Hopefully this will work.

ImageCroppedCarb by Neville Watkins, on Flickr

Not the best photo perhaps. But if you sort of squint at it you can make out the space between the manifold and frame. Must be a good 1cm. And that's stood.
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

Love this post and the title. Should read welcome to the 20th century!!. Two things I've always done to give me improved performance is put on a bigger cab and also a big bore exhaust. Performance improvements without having to do much other than fit them. I have tried a few different carbs over the 45+ years ive owned Lambrettas. Mikuni are good if you set them up ok and then they are trouble free, but manifolds are hard to come by. But I do have a soft spot for Dell Orto which is what I currently use. I have to say that the most responsive carb I have ever had was a flatslide OKO 30mm repro which I bought from Scoot RS with manifiold. Jeez it was awesome. Instant response throttling up or down. Mustard coloured plug always. Truly amazing. Sadly I sold the scoot it was on and now Scoot RS have disappeared. Never quite understood why anyone would go with anything less than a 30mm carb whatever brand (unless fuel consumption is the issue). Anyway I'm now back to a 30mm Dell Orto and its as reliable as clockwork.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information