BGM 225 is it plug and play?

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

Looking at 225 upgrades. Currently old school iron barrel stage 4 tuned rebore. I've shied away for the Aluminium kits. Wondering if anyone has experience with the BGM 225 kit. Is it really just a simple bolt on? Is a bigger cowl needed? Does it last well? Iron barrel 225 goes forever but runs very hot and I'm in Australia. Feedback appreciated. Thanks. Cav
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Yes excellent plug and play, easy to fit and even better with the reed conversion.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

A word of caution

If the jetting is not spot on then worst case senario is a re-plate is pretty pricey.

Just food for thought.

Cgt75b
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

I’ve fitted a couple and about as near to “plug and play” that you’ll get. Very good fitting instructions and plenty of jetting advice available. It’s the ancillaries ( carb, manifold, exhaust) that will determine if you need to modify the cowling, but it’s just a bit of trimming in these areas (the earlier head cowling with the extra scoop air exit won’t fit with any manifold/carb option that you are likely to be using). Other areas that will require a bit of thought are the air filter (if you’re in dry sandy WA I consider an air filter essential 😂) and if you run panels it can be very “tight”. If you’re running hot best sort that out first, short fin flywheel with a long fin mag cowling? Ignition timing too far advanced? Using s**t standard 91 octane petrol? Too get the best out of the kit you will need to open up the transfers in your casing and set your port heights and squish properly.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

If heat is a major consideration, have you considered the Avanti 225 ? Plug and play with enlarged barrel and head fins. Runs a lot cooler than standard.
Cav

Thanks for the advice. Yep running with an foam air filter on 30mm Del Orto under the panels. Casa expansion pipe. Runs well and great power through the range. Even a standard 200 iron barrel can get hot over here esp in Summer. I've always found the 225 ran hot even in the UK yonks ago. I have thought about the Avanti head. Most of the stuff I've read on the BGM kit seem positive, it's just the plating issue that's always bothered me about these kits. I'll give it some more thought. Hard to let go of old school ways !!
Cheers
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I've had my Avanti barrel re-sleeved with iron. I think Ron Moss will sell an un-plated barrel for less than the plated.....another option ?
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Not heard of any plating issues with the RT.
There was a recall/swap on early, mainly small block kits, which had a ring issue I believe but relatively was a small amount of them.
I changed rings after the first 1k as a matter of course. Done maybe 12k with no issues at all. Had new rings back in the summer when the engine was stripped and checked over. Still looked brand new.
Highly recommend kit, there's loads locally and not heard of any issues with any of them.
Cav wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:45 am Thanks for the advice. Yep running with an foam air filter on 30mm Del Orto under the panels. Casa expansion pipe. Runs well and great power through the range. Even a standard 200 iron barrel can get hot over here esp in Summer. I've always found the 225 ran hot even in the UK yonks ago. I have thought about the Avanti head. Most of the stuff I've read on the BGM kit seem positive, it's just the plating issue that's always bothered me about these kits. I'll give it some more thought. Hard to let go of old school ways !!
Cheers
Leo
Main scooter: Lambretta

I've had both Avanti and RT225..

Now I have 2 x RT225 motors and no Avanti.

BGM RT225, Its not the fastest but everything it does it does it very well.
Cav

Thanks for the different perspectives. Gotta admit I'm fascinated by the much higher horsepower these Ally based kits put out, although I don't really see a massive difference in overall low end performance when I've ridden with others who have them fitted. My iron barrel 225 (Indian barrel and really hard iron) is stage 4 plus a bit. BHP may not be right up there and perhaps the top end speed is relatively low, but acceleration is up with the best of them. Probably just me being an old fart, but with the iron barrel I feel if it overheats it just 'nips up' and then releases again, A bit of honing is usually the worst outcome. I'll try to catch up with someone over here who is running a lined Ally barrel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information