Tyre Choices

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I liked the look of the Vee Rubber and the rating but after mixed experience with the SIP performers also made by them I'm a little cautious about the brand.

After all the feedback, I've just ordered some CityGrips - Demon Tweeks currently have them for £30 posted which seems like a bargain.

My main thinking here is they seem to have good feedback in both wet and dry, good mileage and the backing of a major name. I used to like Dexters and SM100 and SM83 as reliable and hard wearing tyres.

Now I'll need to try to see if I can find someone local to fit them on my rims.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Eean wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:12 pm Anyone tried the Anlas winter ones or Michelin city grip?
Running Conti twists but rear is bald after 3000 miles, good mileage and great in the dry on my series 1 TS1 but shite in the wet I find
I'm on my 2nd set of City Grip Winters, I like them, decent grip in all weathers (I ride all year round) and get up to 3k miles on the rear. Anlas Winter are also very good but wear quicker in the dry than the City Grips
Eean

Thanks for replies, like the look of the city grips too so think I'll get one for my spare to try then get another sip rim for two spares cheers
Eean

What size did you get from demon tweeks there's only the 100 80 10 is that correct please
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

I've only used Mitchelin S1s on my Li150 and I have to say in the dry they stick like the proverbial to a blanket in the dry.
That said I cannot speak for in the wet though as I don't even ride when its damp out there lol. Its just too much effort cleaning it drying it and keeping the surface rust at bay
I think its important to change tyres before they get old hard and low on tread and start losing their handling characteristics . You can find the manufacturers date code on the tyres
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Burnside wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:02 pmI'm on my 2nd set of City Grip Winters, I like them, decent grip in all weathers (I ride all year round) and get up to 3k miles on the rear.
That is good. You're not five stone soaking wet are you? :lol:
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Eean wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:42 pm What size did you get from demon tweeks there's only the 100 80 10 is that correct please
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/micheli ... s-1461216/

3.50 x 10
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Tractorman wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:02 am I bought a couple of Vee Rubber VRM396 from M&P because they were cheap and I don't mind a bit of slide with the sidecar. But I took the sidecar off for Seahouses rally and forgot about the tyres but they gripped very well in the rain on the way back so I will use them again!
I've bought some of those. Much better than the Conti Twist I had before.

There's a table here with numbers reviewing a large range of tyres. Might help some people who put a lot of faith in numbers.
https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/te ... ooter.html
cliffy
Main scooter: LML Star 125 DLX

I have an MC20 Monsum on the rear of my LML. Had a Performer on the before that and the difference is very noticeable! The MC20 feels loads better. No tracking in ruts on the road or skittish back end!
pooliepfr
Main scooter: Vespa PX 125

I'm glad this topic has popped up.
I'm a brand new rider, got a PX125, scoot has got Michelin tyres. I'm using the scooter in all weathers for going to work. I was wondering which tyres would be best. That tracking thing when riding is a pain especially as i'm still pretty much learning to ride. I didn't know tyres could affect that so definitely would like something that will help eliminate even if just a little.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information