Dyno Graph - Small Frame

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
tony172
Main scooter: vespa t5

Hi Guys,

Dynoed a small frame I built today, runs a champ but has a jetting problem I can't quite grasp.
AFR leans out at around 65mph in 4th not sure of RPM without looking it up.
What I'm not sure about is why it seems to only happens in 4th and not at the same RPM in each gear.
Dyno operator thought it could be that the power jet is too small (which I'm not discounting at all).
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Setup (if memory serves)
Pinasco zuera 135
180ex/125trans
140btdc/60atdc inlet
1.2mm squish
Stage 6 26mm pwk powerjet carb
JL sei giorni pipe
Sip vape race ign set 22°retarding to about 14°

Let me know if you have any ideas
tony172

Here's the graph, any ideas:

drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

The load in 4th is far greater than any other gear, thats when fuel flow issues are exposed. This graph looks like the carb is running out of fuel in 4th, so perhaps fuel flow from the tank/tap, or the float needle valve would be good starting points for further investigation? Did the dyno operator do a single 3rd gear run also? The same problem may possibly have occurred if held WoT in 3rd.

First, check fuel flow from the petrol pipe at the carb... it should flow 1 pint per minute (or close). If it doesn't flow at that rate..... the petrol tap is an issue.

If fuel flow is OK, look at the carb settings. To help people make suggestions, you'll need to list the settings.

Carb spec:

Carb make/model:
Main jet:
Pilot jet:
Atomiser:
Float needle valve:
Slide:
Needle
Clip setting:
Airscrew (or mix screw) turns out:
Air filter Y/N:
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
tony172

Thank you Mr munky! I've contacted the owner to ask for full carb spec and will be back ASAP.
I also thought fuel flow but as the scoot is fitted with a fast flow tap and with the carb being situated down by the kick start I didn't think it likely--though now you've said it I wonder if the fuel inlet at the carb is a possible bottleneck...

Anyhow I'll be back as soon as I get the specs
tony172

Hi so I've had a reply from the owner

Carb make/model: Stage6 PWK 26mm
Main jet:118
Pilot jet:38
Atomiser: unknown
Float needle valve: unknown
Slide:unknown
Needle: E
Clip setting: top
Airscrew (or mix screw) turns out: 1.5
Air filter Y/N: N

Have asked him to hang the carb over a pint glass with the float bowl off and time how long it takes to fill, and also to drill out the tank cap breather

Any ideas would be appreciated, and also any recommendations for a clutch would be nice as it makes more power than expected!

Thanks again
Tony
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information