Crikey its quiet in here ..iet in here...in here... here..

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Personally, I think we've passed the high tide mark of the internet. There's a lot more business emphasis on website these days, and hosting a site is a lot more expensive and forces the owners to finance it to keep it going.

The social media platforms are cheaper and easily accessible and all it costs is the harvesting of your data and 'targeted' ads. But they are all inferior to forums, in my opinion. In spite of most threads disintegrating into insults and arguments after three pages, you can get help, entertainment and reliable information, which is difficult to get and even harder to find on Facebook.

The question is though, as traffic falls where is the critical point where it's no longer financially viable to run or host the site, and all that valuable information is lost?

Even something like Photo-whatsit charging to host images really hit forums hard and all those wonderful build threads are now imageless.

[I've had my Li for 30 years, still ride it most days and still enjoy it. I'm no longer a member of LCGB as there didn't seem to be much point. The fee of £25 isn't a great deal, but I objected to it being spent on solicitors, and the magazine was a bit pointless. There were very few members rallies near where I live and anyway, if I wanted to go with the Ms, Ms Eddiestone would have to pay to be a member as well. It's the last point that made me wonder if it was worth it. It was a bit of an eye opener seeing what the Vespa clubs do in comparison. I was seriously considering joining one.]
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

yeah its a real shame because eventually forums like this shut down and all that information advice and records are lost usually forever like the LCGB disaster when it wasn't backed up.

I hate FB with a vengeance its not easy to chat at length in a tiny box and there is no paragraph option . I just hate the way its so fussy and cluttered . Saying that I am blown away with the amount of stuff you find on there locally for sale . prices are a lot better than fleabay with no fees ...

I think we are beginning to see the beginning of the end lol which is all the more reason why those of us that can should try and keep this forum alive
johnny650

EddieStone wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:57 am Personally, I think we've passed the high tide mark of the internet. There's a lot more business emphasis on website these days, and hosting a site is a lot more expensive and forces the owners to finance it to keep it going.

The social media platforms are cheaper and easily accessible and all it costs is the harvesting of your data and 'targeted' ads. But they are all inferior to forums, in my opinion. In spite of most threads disintegrating into insults and arguments after three pages, you can get help, entertainment and reliable information, which is difficult to get and even harder to find on Facebook.

The question is though, as traffic falls where is the critical point where it's no longer financially viable to run or host the site, and all that valuable information is lost?

Even something like Photo-whatsit charging to host images really hit forums hard and all those wonderful build threads are now imageless.

[I've had my Li for 30 years, still ride it most days and still enjoy it. I'm no longer a member of LCGB as there didn't seem to be much point. The fee of £25 isn't a great deal, but I objected to it being spent on solicitors, and the magazine was a bit pointless. There were very few members rallies near where I live and anyway, if I wanted to go with the Ms, Ms Eddiestone would have to pay to be a member as well. It's the last point that made me wonder if it was worth it. It was a bit of an eye opener seeing what the Vespa clubs do in comparison. I was seriously considering joining one.]
i agree with everything you say but if you dare to mention it ,.......someone from the 'LCGB is wonderful' club will soon be along to shove your opinion down your throat with all the advantages there are to being a member ...errrr what would they be then for me who cannot attend rallies or club meets and doesn't think a quarterly mag badge and calendar is worth the cost just in order to do the one thing I did want which was the forum..
johnny650

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:26 am Image
;)
gaz_powell

Crikey....Welcome back Johnny650.....
consistent as one of the 'LCGB is s**t' club to shove your opinion down throats with all the advantages there are to not being a member.... ;)

As everyone knows by choice you are no longer a member which suits you.....which is great, so come on just stop slagging it off. :idea:

All LCGB opinion aside and the matter in hand ; I've been a supporter of this forum for years and contribute a fair bit (and LCGB), more so in the more technical side then general chat type, but seeing as i'm on.....
It would be sad to see it go, unfortunately in today's society with technology/social media changes perhaps forums are becoming old hat .......Remember when the ZX81 was the future!!!!
I'm not on facebook, instagram etc and have no desire - from what I've seen they are more selling or bragging platform.
These forums are perfect for my needs and hopefully they will stand time.
chippy

gaz_powell wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 pm Crikey....Welcome back Johnny650.....
consistent as one of the 'LCGB is s**t' club to shove your opinion down throats with all the advantages there are to not being a member.... ;)

As everyone knows by choice you are no longer a member which suits you.....which is great, so come on just stop slagging it off. :idea:

All LCGB opinion aside and the matter in hand ; I've been a supporter of this forum for years and contribute a fair bit (and LCGB), more so in the more technical side then general chat type, but seeing as i'm on.....
It would be sad to see it go, unfortunately in today's society with technology/social media changes perhaps forums are becoming old hat .......Remember when the ZX81 was the future!!!!
I'm not on facebook, instagram etc and have no desire - from what I've seen they are more selling or bragging platform.
These forums are perfect for my needs and hopefully they will stand time.
+1
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Yes, I came back to scooters about 6 years ago after 20 years on sports bikes; this and the lcgb forums have been priceless. In my opinion, if I'd come back now, when the forums are less active, I think I'd have done one standard rebuild and gone back to sports bikes. As it is, they've taught me enough to start doing a bit of my own tuning work and I love it.

Makes me a little bit sad.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

johnny650 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:21 pm
drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:26 am
;)
I don't need the business website anymore, so I let all the URLs and hosting expire...
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

I would say that the old saying , use it or lose it applies, its easy to just view threads, but this sight is more than that, there is a wealth of information that a lot of members on here have and a lot of them share that information willingly. I hope the forum does keep going I visit at least once a day if not more, it would be a shame if it went. maybe I need to build some thing else and get another thread going, mmm I know someone has just purchased a Kawasaki 250 cylinder for his next project (not me by the way) I hope he does a thread on it, will be very interesting.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information