Rear spare wheel carrier

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

I am looking for a horizontal spare wheel carrier that is capable of holding a SIP tubeless rim and tyre to my series 3 Li. It is the type that will bolt to the holes where you would normally fix a sprint rack. All of the ones I have come across up to now are not suitable as the 4 studs to fix the wheel to are too short. I don't want a vertical carrier or one built into a back rest. Has anybody come across one that would suit or can anyone suggest a modification / solution. I have thought about buying one and trying to grind off the studs and use nuts and bolts instead but don't want to spend £50 to knacker it up.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

All you do is put 4 long cylinder head nuts on the existing studs on the rack and then add 4 x 8mm studs (or get a length of 8mm thread bar, about £2 from Toolstation and cut a few small lengths off it).
https://www.toolstation.com/connector-nut/p86819
https://www.toolstation.com/threaded-bar/p69124
Less than £4 and enough to do 2 sets. If you pm me a facebook address I'll send you pics.
Don't forget to carry normal 8mm nuts with you if you carry a split rim spare as the SIP domenuts bottom out on split rims.
corrado
Dealer

I've just added a thread and the pictures to my facebook page ....
https://www.facebook.com/justlambretta/
Blenks

That’s excellent Corrado. Thanks very much. One question though, will the cylinder head nuts fit throught the stud holes in the SIP rim is will the rim sit n top of them?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Fit it flat side of the wheel down and use the SIP nuts to attach it that way you'll have four spare nuts when the ones holding your wheel on go walkabout
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
corrado
Dealer

I'd also fit flat washers on top of the head studs to spread the load to prevent damaging the paint on the Sip rim. I use K nuts that are used on Karts, they are 8mm thread (obviously) but have a flange that seats into the recess on the Sip rim (same size as the flange on the Sip nut) and use a 10mm socket / spanner sized head. As pointed out by others that makes the head much thinner than normal, so it's not a recommendation, merely my own preference. These nuts are open ended (I hate dome nuts) and are an interference fit so can't easily undo should they lose tension on the washer, plus they'll fit both the Sip rims and the split rim if you're carrying a split rim spare.

I guess that there's a few people who run Sip tubeless and a split rim spare that have been caught out if they've needed to use the spare and had given no thought to the fact that the Sip rim won't fit on their spare wheel carrier.
Blenks

Thanks for all the advice. Carrier and 4 cylinder head nuts arrived this morning. Will get it fitted this afternoon hopefully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information