Sip spare

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
flipster

I want to fit a SIP tubeless spare rim and tyre to my leg shield spare carrier . (Standard split rim and tyre fitted at mo ) I’m planning on using m8 long nuts on the studs with m8 bolts to fit through the rim . Can anyone tell me what length long nuts and bolts are needed ? Also any thoughts on the best tyre to choose for a spare to carry ? Thinking about a tyre obviously to fit front or back , so rotation direction applies ! Currently running on Conti twists so looking for something similar .

Cheers .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P.N.D.S.C.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Get a couple of the long cylinder head nuts and screw them onto the carrier and then use a suitably sized bolt to attach the wheel.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

More or less the same question .....
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40433

If you're running tyres that fit in opposite directions, such as Conti Twist then it makes sense to have the spare rear orientated as most punctures and blow outs happen on the rear as they take more punishment , carry far more weight and have half the life of a front tyre plus if you keep it inflated at rear psi of around 30 lbs ft it's easier to lose air (for front use) than it is to add it.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

^^^ Good advise
flipster

Tried the long nuts and bolt through idea which does work as in you can fix the spare to the carrier . But I dont like that due to the length of the long nuts the spare sits further away from the frame . Which to me looks odd ! Spare looks like a steering wheel !!! Could shorten these but that would only reduce the length of bolt threads in the nut ! Which ever way round you fit it .The split rim spare fits tight to the frame / legshields because the studs go through the rim which looks right ! Long bolts dont ! Cant see any other solution but to drill out the studs ( welded bolts ) and fit longer studs ! Ball ache . So , keep split rim , tubed tyre and m8 nylocs to use as spare and long bolts to fit sip rim to carrier (when swapped ) till I can buy a carrier with long studs to suit 🙄
P.N.D.S.C.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

flipster wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 pm Tried the long nuts and bolt through idea which does work as in you can fix the spare to the carrier . But I dont like that due to the length of the long nuts the spare sits further away from the frame . Which to me looks odd ! Spare looks like a steering wheel !!! Could shorten these but that would only reduce the length of bolt threads in the nut ! Which ever way round you fit it .The split rim spare fits tight to the frame / legshields because the studs go through the rim which looks right ! Long bolts dont ! Cant see any other solution but to drill out the studs ( welded bolts ) and fit longer studs ! Ball ache . So , keep split rim , tubed tyre and m8 nylocs to use as spare and long bolts to fit sip rim to carrier (when swapped ) till I can buy a carrier with long studs to suit 🙄
I ran around with long nuts and bolts for about a year but then decided to weld some longer bolts into the carrier, which works fine and does look right (wheel closer to legshields).
Eean

I'm about to do this, Think you need about 42mm length bolts to weld into the carrier to fit a sip rim
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Martin (corrado) put a good post on FB about this recently -

https://www.facebook.com/22324381116707 ... 042506313/
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information