Tubes

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

So i go round mates house and he has 2 new inner tubes in boxes marked up,Lambretta/Vespa tubes,he was not very happy when i told him lambretta tubes are offset valves and angled different and the ones he has are centre (vespa),the tubes came from a well known supplier,so what i'm saying, if you supply tubes and are reading this get your act together and stop selling these as Lambretta tubes ,you know who you are and there a few of you out there.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Lambretta valves are offset, now. But come on. You know full well that for many years prior to that just about the only tubes available were ones with centrally located valve stems that were used in both Lambrettas and Vespa's. It probably wasn't a great idea, but that's how it was. So your dealer is not wrong.
dennis

Yes but that is no excuse now days.
gaz_powell

Doom Patrol wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:40 pm Lambretta valves are offset, now. But come on. You know full well that for many years prior to that just about the only tubes available were ones with centrally located valve stems that were used in both Lambrettas and Vespa's. It probably wasn't a great idea, but that's how it was. So your dealer is not wrong.
I ran Michelin Airstop in Vespa and Lambretta for years doing high rally miles much at 2 up

While I agree the offset valve is the way forward, if I was stuck I would still use one.
dennis

If i was stuck i would use 20/50 engine oil in my crank case to get home
,but it's still not right.
gaz_powell

Dennis, you're obviously agreived by the whole thing but by posting youre opening up the debate for comments.

The fact remains that before the recent availability of offset valves everyone was using central ones - that's what the responses from me and doom patrol are saying.

I think it would be difficult to say that the central valve arrangement caused failure, the rubber must have enough give/flexibility to accommodate the gap from centre to offset, demonstrated by the amount sold and used. #

To which i'm sure some people will continue doing what they are happy with - using a tube by a reputable maker.

Previously i would only use Airstop, now my choice is Mypol.

Ultimately I fully agree that offset is the better alternative.

Having never owned a factory built lambretta I don't know whether they came with an offset valve ??

# Not wishing to restart the debate about tubes v tubeless !!

Gaz
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information