MOT EXEMPTION - for 40 year plus scooters

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
HotPearlSnatch
Main scooter: Lambretta series 2

hhhhmmmmm, i read that 'substantial changes' meant an overall power increase of not more than 15% from original....So your 25+bhp engines may well fall foul of this new law in terms of invalid insurance on non MOTed vehicles which have been tuned.

Just sayin'
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

HotPearlSnatch wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:59 pm hhhhmmmmm, i read that 'substantial changes' meant an overall power increase of not more than 15% from original....So your 25+bhp engines may well fall foul of this new law in terms of invalid insurance on non MOTed vehicles which have been tuned
Where did you see this,I've checked all the DVLA papers and cant find this anywhere.
HotPearlSnatch

i am pretty sure i read it in one of the scootering type publications, i'll have to dig it out when i get home.

I recall having a conversation about this with my [TS1 owning] mate. He also understood this to be the case and is intending to continue MOTing his TS1 [but not his standard S2] just to be on the safe side of the insurance company.

Suffice to say there is some confusion about the situation in so far as big BHP motors in classic scooters. Makes sense to me if your bike is now running 25+ bhp and was originally designed to run 10, then the insurance people will wanna look at that in the event of a claim. Then consider the value of most of these scooters [in insurance terms] then 2+2 does in fact = 4.

I'll try and find the reference though.
HotPearlSnatch

https://www.classicbikeguide.com/new-mo ... firmed-up/

Found it, "if the bike has an increased power of 15% over original spec then it does not comply"
HxPaul

That link is from 1/12/2017.This is the latest from DVLA - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-criteria
HxPaul

In the link from DVLA,if you scroll down until you reach "substantial change criteria".If you go to engine you'll notice that if you change an engine as long as the engine remains of the same configeration,then it doesn't matter if you change the cubic capacity because that is not considered a "substantial change".
HotPearlSnatch

Paul, thats really good news all round.

One thing i would say though is i have found totally contradictory information on the governments own website about the new ULEZ [zone] about to be rolled out in central London [Where i work and commute into]. i'd still be wary of taking it for granted that a big BHP engined Lambretta [or whatever] will be insured as usual in the event of a claim . Probably best to contact your insurer directly as one hat might not fit all [insurance companies].
HxPaul

As long as you tell your ins.company what the c.c.of the scooter is I dont see a problem.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

HxPaul wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:16 pm In the link from DVLA,if you scroll down until you reach "substantial change criteria".If you go to engine you'll notice that if you change an engine as long as the engine remains of the same configeration,then it doesn't matter if you change the cubic capacity because that is not considered a "substantial change".
i would of thought that if you changed your bog standard li150 engine to a SSR 265 that certainly would be considered a substantial change or at least at 8 grand for the engine i would hope it was a substantial change
the man don't give a f@@k
HxPaul

Not as far as DVLA are concerned if you read the link.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information