MOT EXEMPTION - for 40 year plus scooters

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Just floating this and sorry if discussed on here previously. Does anyone have any factual documents they could post to confirm a 40 plus year old scooter is completely exempt from MOT now or, from my limited knowledge, whether the " Substantial Changes" catches everyone out....ie; Modified Lambrettas still need an MOT were the rise in horsepower would dictate ? Thanks in advance.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Re increase in horsepower, pretty sure that as long as it still has the same number of cylinders this isn't an issue, so unless you've stuck a Targa in you should be fine
Daggs

The terminology used is 'substantially changed' What does that mean? No one knows.
Unless you've changed your forty year old Lambretta into some sort of fire breathing monstrosity, I wouldn't get hung up about it.
Many of us have Lambrettas that are modified from original. Does this mean 'substantially changed' I don't think so.
DVLA will ask you at tax renewal time to declare whether your machine qualifies for non MOT status. Note, the onus is on you, not them.
However, the authorities do not have time to examine each and every machine in minute detail. If you are confident your scooter is not 'substantially changed' declare exemption.
There was none of this fuss when exemption was introduced for pre-1960 machines and I know of no issues since.
At the end of the day, if you feel better about it? You can have your machine MOT'd.
Strummer10

Thanks I was just researching to advise our 30 scooter club members who are uncertain. My view is MOT this year as the guidance on ‘substantial changes” completely ambiguous, hence MOT’d mine personally as a 225 engine in a 150 frame.
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

Worth checking with your insurer as there are stories of some still requiring an MOT. Also the breakdown recovery as some of those require that the scooter is MOT’d, or at least they did until now
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Strummer10

hat wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:56 pm Worth checking with your insurer as there are stories of some still requiring an MOT. Also the breakdown recovery as some of those require that the scooter is MOT’d, or at least they did until now
Just had breakfast with a fellow rider and he said Bennetts Insurance would only insure he's L.I 125 with 185 mugello under a historic vehicle unless it has a current MOT. I spoke to Carole Nash yesterday and they said no MOT needed on my Avanti 225 on an L.I 150 frame, when challenged she was uncertain and referred me to an MOT station (Who in turn said unsure ask insurers), but also to ask DVLA which is my next call. Clearly insurer interpretation is suffering too...
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

I checked my renewal policy with nash carefully as i declared the mugello 186 I’ve put on (which incidentally made no difference to the premium) and there’s no specific mention of a valid MOT being a requirement to insurance. Where it was called out was on the bundled breakdown recovery policy which clearly states a valid MOT is required. I asked carole nash about this and their response was that this would only apply where an MOT is required for the vehicle
Daggs

If you follow the link supplied by 'doom patrol' You'll find this.

Alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines are not considered to be a substantial change

People really need to relax about this. The law says your forty+ year old vehicle no longer needs an MOT.
Insurance companies do not have the power to overrule the law.
If your insurer tries to demand an MOT. Tell them you will be changing insurers.

If you "substantially change" your scooter (whatever that means and good luck working it out) then things could be different.
But for most of us who add disc brakes, increase CC's, cut the panels, fit halogen headlights, run on tubeless tyres and so on and on. You no longer need an MOT.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

^ that's how I read it.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information