MOT EXEMPTION - for 40 year plus scooters

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

Nobody is being forced out of going for an mot under the new rules.
I havent read them to be honest.
If you feel uncomfortable with the new rules or unsure...you can still present your scooter for an mot.
If your happy with the new ruling you can opt out i believe by informing the dvla.
I shall when i get round to it probably opt out.
But a good thing about an mot if its done correctly...shows if your lights and brakes are adequate.
Its also reminds you to keep it roadworthy.
Although i am sure most of us do.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

GTFOMWSC wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:10 pm
HxPaul wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:16 pm In the link from DVLA,if you scroll down until you reach "substantial change criteria".If you go to engine you'll notice that if you change an engine as long as the engine remains of the same configeration,then it doesn't matter if you change the cubic capacity because that is not considered a "substantial change".
i would of thought that if you changed your bog standard li150 engine to a SSR 265 that certainly would be considered a substantial change or at least at 8 grand for the engine i would hope it was a substantial change
In a word No ,

reason why is the whole substantial changes thing has been a complete load of nonsense put about by poorly researched articles in scooter based press . since dec 2017 dvla issued guidance online after the consultation finished which clearly states tha sunstantive changes are only for vehicles other than motorcyles eg non two wheelers .

this guidance information has been replaced as it is now on the V112 form the one you need to complete to declare your scooter mot exempt see my post from 30th aug for the link .

so basically i can put a truck engine in a chopper and it wont matter a flying f*** because the vehicle only has 2 wheels ! which means it does not come under the substantive changes rules

this information was on fbhvc site and in many classic car mags stating it didnt refer to motorcycles so why the scootering press ran with " fake news " is up to them to explain
wintermod65

ps if worried just take scooter to a reliable trustworthy scooter shop and ask them to do a safety check if you dont feel confident in checking lights tyres suspension and steering etc its likely to be less expensive than a full mot which is not needed and you could add confusion into the system as you have declared it mot exempt especially with mot being electronically registered by Dvla
HotPearlSnatch
Main scooter: Lambretta series 2

Absolutely correct on all fronts - [apart from the truck engine in a scooter due to additional cylinders being considered as 'not alternative original equipment' - second point on the V112 form].

I have just filled the form out but there is no reference to a return address. Cant seem to find an online DVLA email recipient address either. Where did you send your completed form?

Thanks in advance.
HotPearlSnatch

Sorry, dumb post above. Apparently you have to take the form to a PO on wanting to tax and/or register it as MOT exempt. They will then send on the details to the DVLA and in turn they will amend your log book and issue a new one stating MOT exemption.....

Its all a little cumbersome for those of us who regularly tax online [like me]. Truth is the PO seems the most efficient way of doing this.
wintermod65

HotPearlSnatch wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 pm Absolutely correct on all fronts - [apart from the truck engine in a scooter due to additional cylinders being considered as 'not alternative original equipment' - second point on the V112 form].

I have just filled the form out but there is no reference to a return address. Cant seem to find an online DVLA email recipient address either. Where did you send your completed form?

Thanks in advance.
take to post office ,

go to bottom of left side of notes on page 2 v112 it states these components (other than for motorcycles) are chassis axles engine . so as long as your vehicle has 2 wheels and is roadworthy you are exempt from the substantive changes rules which means you can configure the vehicle how you wish .
wintermod65

HotPearlSnatch wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 pm Sorry, dumb post above. Apparently you have to take the form to a PO on wanting to tax and/or register it as MOT exempt. They will then send on the details to the DVLA and in turn they will amend your log book and issue a new one stating MOT exemption.....

Its all a little cumbersome for those of us who regularly tax online [like me]. Truth is the PO seems the most efficient way of doing this.
the whole affair is just bonkers , change brought by eu who we are leaving and most other member states have not brought in changes but absorbed mot exemptions into existing laws .

so the beauracracy is all of our governments making as they were advised to do same but guess thought theyd p155 off vehicle owners again !
HotPearlSnatch

Totally agree. That said if the system works as well as the online vehicle taxing system does now, then it will be worth it all in a year or two..[fingers crossed!]
Daggs

HotPearlSnatch wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 pm Sorry, dumb post above. Apparently you have to take the form to a PO on wanting to tax and/or register it as MOT exempt. They will then send on the details to the DVLA and in turn they will amend your log book and issue a new one stating MOT exemption.....

When I did my last scooter tax online. A page came up, asking me to declare MOT exemption (or not)
HotPearlSnatch

Thanks again Daggs, i went into my post office on Saturday and asked them about it, they have never heard of the system other than having the V112 form to hand. They looked really blankly when i asked them what you do, they seemed to think it was nothing to do with them and instead i should send everything by post to the DVLA once the tax reminder arrives.

Again, confusion abounds, even the PO don't have a clue!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information