MOT EXEMPTION - for 40 year plus scooters

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Arborman
Main scooter: RB22

Read the C Nash policy as per hat and yes it clearly states a valid MOT is required under the 'breakdown' policy requirements.
So IMHO I would adivse getting it done under that policy with CN, who wants a breakdown miles from home in the rain and when you call they ask the question 'have you a valid MOT' :shock: :?
Mines a '58 and had an MOT for peace of mind :D
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I've been picked up by C Nash before (holed piston) and was not asked for my MOT.

Does this mean you are expected to carry the MOT with you ?

I've just travelled abroad and clarified with FJ that breakdowns were covered without an MOT.......they are.
Arborman
Main scooter: RB22

Just saying it's in the 'Breakdown Policy 'wording if you were choose not to have one done thats the policy holders perogative. :roll:
lofty

does this also apply for those with brand new autos that don't need an MOT for 3 years?
Daggs

The wording of a breakdown policy that demands a current MOT for the insured vehicle, is clearly out of date, when referring to vehicles over forty years old.
It should be amended to read 'the insured vehicle must have a current MOT where appropriate'
If your insurer demands an MOT, tell them you will change insurers.
As I said previously, insurance companies do not make the law.
And as I also said previously, there was none of this fuss and panic when MOT's were scrapped for pre-1960 machines.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

It seems that the Gov document has been reworded since I last looked ....probably an attempt to make it less ambiguous. Well it hasn't worked.
One thing that is now crystal clear is that the 40 year exemption rule in respect of Tax and MOT is a monthly rolling program.
If you can prove the month of manufacture of your scoot then that is the date you can use instead of the January 1st rule previously stated on the Gov.UK Docs

Just my luck my XS650 bike was manufactured in Nov 1978 and my MOT & Tax is due last week grrrrrr

from the Gov website https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot- ... 0-may-2018
'
Until now, only vehicles first built before 1960 were exempt from needing an MOT.

Now the rules have changed, vehicles won’t need an MOT from the 40th anniversary of when they were registered or manufactured. You can check the date the vehicle was registered online.

Example
If a car was first registered on 31 May 1978, it won’t need an MOT from 31 May 2018.

You won’t have to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle.

However, each time you tax your historic vehicle (even if you don’t pay a fee), you’ll have to declare it meets the rules for not needing an MOT.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

Unfortunately theres been a load of scaremongering and rumors doing the rounds in various forms of scooter based media regarding vehicles of historic interest .
DVLA issued guidance on definitions of substantive changes after the consultation document was released , lots of classic car magazines , owners sites and FBHVC all put it out there and had a handle on what things meant eg , as the DVLA guidance document stated substantive changes was for vehicles other than motorcycles.

when the changes to MOT/Tax and registrations came into force in May this guidance was taken off DVLA site as the information has been incorporated into the V112 declaration of exemption from MOT form
where it still states substantive changes are for vehicles other than motorcycles
see link
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... om-mot.pdf
YAMLAM

A vehicle will be considered substantially changed if the technical characteristics of the main components have changed in the previous 30 years, unless the changes fall into specific categories. These main components for vehicles, other than motorcycles2, are:

1 If the type of vehicle is still in production, it is not exempt from periodic testing.
2 Further arrangements for motorcycles may be introduced, including if core testing standards are considered further internationally.

" Other than Motorcycles "
I have a GP Full Frame and a LI 150 Lambretta Chopper , both over 40 years , i havent MOT`d either.
Just following the Guidelines.
win or lose have a booze
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

just a quick note to add to this, as it is relevant for Historic vehicles.

The same 40 year rule also applies to vehicle tax which also runs from the beginning of the nearest month preceeding the manufactured date .

Naturally you still need to apply for Tax as before even though there is no fee payable.
The only difference now that I can see is that we will have to confirm that the vehicle is exempt from MOT and that it meets the exemption rules when taxing online at DVLA.

So the onus will now be on us to ensure that our vehicles are safe and road worthy and meet the new MOT and TAX exemption rules. If stopped and our sccot is found to be unsafe or non conforming then we will still be subject to prosecution and without having a current MOT , I imagine that that will be difficult to argue
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

YAMLAM wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:39 pm A vehicle will be considered substantially changed if the technical characteristics of the main components have changed in the previous 30 years, unless the changes fall into specific categories. These main components for vehicles, other than motorcycles2, are:

1 If the type of vehicle is still in production, it is not exempt from periodic testing.
2 Further arrangements for motorcycles may be introduced, including if core testing standards are considered further internationally.

" Other than Motorcycles "
I have a GP Full Frame and a LI 150 Lambretta Chopper , both over 40 years , i havent MOT`d either.
Just following the Guidelines.
just as i posted back in may in the earlier thread "MOT exemption from today" have just registered my two lambrettas including a GT 240 / GT casing powered winter model both came back from DVLA as "tax class historic " just have to fill in V112 online and tax online . great the truth is getting out there
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information