Tubeless rim beginners questions

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Snails

I've never gone down the tubeless path before, and Ive just picked up a 2nd hand AF tubeless rim off eBay. I have a few questions that I need answers to before progressing

1. Can I shot blast and powdercoat the rim?
2. Can I reuse my existing Pierelli SL26 tyre. It's 3.00 x 10
3. If not is that because of the size or do you need specific tyres for tubeless rims?

Anything else I should bear in mind? I'll be looking to get the tyre fitted professionally rather than do it myself
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I'd have thought shot was a bit rough as a blasting media, prob better with something softer. The alloy marks very easily.

Powder coat would be possible I guess but again you want to watch the tolerances and not lay it on too thick. Also be aware that the hole the air goes through to the valve can be very small ~ 2mm so would be easy to block.

I think the 2.10" wheels are OK with 3.00 x 10 tires but you need to check if your tire is marked TL (tubeless) or TT (tube type).
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Snails

rosscla wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:55 pm I'd have thought shot was a bit rough as a blasting media, prob better with something softer. The alloy marks very easily.

Powder coat would be possible I guess but again you want to watch the tolerances and not lay it on too thick. Also be aware that the hole the air goes through to the valve can be very small ~ 2mm so would be easy to block.

I think the 2.10" wheels are OK with 3.00 x 10 tires but you need to check if your tire is marked TL (tubeless) or TT (tube type).
Thanks. I may just leave the colour for now. Cant see any TL or TT on the tyre unfortunately which leads to another question:

Is it ok to mix and match tyres? So that you've got different tyres front and back? The only time i've done this I was not impressed but that might have been cos I borrowed a tyre because of a puncture and the borrowed tyre was your old school tread pattern and therefore rubbish.
kejj

I run sl26 on front and sm100 on the back. Both on af tubeless, the back being a wide rim. Never had a problem with miss at he’d tyres and I’ve done thousands of km.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I've had probably 10 pairs pf tubeless rims blasted and powder coated. No problems.

No idea what the blast medià was though.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Most tyre fitters in my experience will only fit new tyres to rims.
Snails

Burnside wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 am Most tyre fitters in my experience will only fit new tyres to rims.
Thanks. I did wonder whether that would be an issue as well. I contacted AF and they have advised against fitting the 3.00 x 10 tyres so I think I'll purchase a newy and continue with Sl26's on the front for now, or use them on my other lammy which does not have tubeless on it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information