Phbh 30mm slide sticking

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
tony172
Main scooter: vespa t5

Couple of times recently I've had the slide stick open on my dellorto phbh30 and I'm not sure why. The cable is not the issue as you can remove the carb top and it's still stuck in the slide bore.
Pull it out and it goes back down the bore fine !?! I took the carb off and tried to make it stick but I couldn't, I don't know what's going on!
Anyone come across this?
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Is the needle slightly bent.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Bit of grit?

Amals used to have an issue the slide freezing which is why they often came chromed.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
tony172

There's no grit, that's what I assumed the first time it happened but after a couple of times having the same thing I'm pretty sure it's a mechanical problem (unless of course I've just had a run of bad luck)
As for the needle i didn't notice that it was bent when I rebuilt yesterday but I wasn't looking at the needle so much as the slide itself, so I'll whip it back out and check.
I've given the slide and the bore a quick go-over with some dry 1200grit to see if that helps things.
I'm running through a malossi hose to the frame (px) so I'll have a look in there for any particles. It's a b@5t@rd to get back on mind :twisted:
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i see that mb has just started making a stronger spring for these. might be your best fix.
tony172

That's not a bad shout. I'll have a look on their site, thanks
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I had this after doing my pre-Euro checks, couldn't find the cause and it has been fine every since, so just put it down to a bit of grit
tony172

that's what i thought, but after happening twice in 2 weeks Its hard to say either way.
after sanding the bore and slide with 1200grit it seems to be fine, and I've a backup plan-
Inside a Thomas Dudley Turbo88 toiley syphon I found what looks to be the perfect spring to run up the middle of the standard slide spring for added tension.
I haven't tried this and it might be an absolutely terrible idea, but in my head its a good fit.
If it happens again I'll pull over and whack it in (springs in me toolbox now) but until it happens again I'll leave it be.
If it aint broke don't fix it eh?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information