Handling Series 1&2

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
kevspeed

Lamaddict wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:16 pm I have never had a tuned engine in a Series 1 or 2 but thinking of putting a Quattrini in a Series 1, with a front disc brake etc. Question is how do thy handle with a tuned engine in? The bars seem wider and of course they are heavier but this many be an advantage?
In my own experience i have found that series 1 and 2 handle far better than any series 3 or GP i have ever owned,with both tuned and standard engines.
Stiffen up the front end,and fit a lower seat and you're ready to go.
At present im re doing a Ts1 in my series 1. I've only fitted progressive springs, BGM dampers,and fitted a TSR seat .
It's always stuck to the road like glue.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I own 2 scooters,a series 2 and a series 3.I much prefere riding my series 2,its not tuned as such(casa 185)but it feels more planted and handles much better than my series 3.
HotPearlSnatch
Main scooter: Lambretta series 2

After years of GP's, series 3s, cut downs and chops i now only own 2 series 2s and an series 1.

I gotta say i am totally converted in terms of the 'fat' Lambretta's stance on the road and general road holding. Although only one of the bikes is tuned [a small and modest Bn Kemp tuned stage 4] it is solid as a rock on the road providing you attend to the suspension and braking as discussed.That said I still use drums on all 3 bikes and to be honest they work fine for my commuting needs.
The only advice i have is to thoroughly check the integrity of the frame tube prior to putting anything quick in there. We all know of that lovely S1 that folded in half a couple of years ago, same thing happened to my mates proper italian AF S type [GP], he realized just before pouring another 5 k into the thing [on its 3rd rebuild] and had to have a section of new [used] tube welded in.....he was alarmed to say the least, most of all because i am now able to take the p*ss as his genuine, all italian GP now relies on an indian frame plug......that'll teach him to be a snob :0)

Anyway, these frames are aging and there seems to be a fashion for super tuning the most derelict of machines. As a welder myself [30+ years] i really can't emphasize the importance of checking the tube.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information