MOT Exemption from today

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Gage
Main scooter: TV200, P2, VB1+Bambini, GTV300

Hi all
Well despite my scepticism my Lammy just went from SORNed with no MOT, to legally on the road at the press of a button by the lady at the post office. Rode the Vespa home, straight out on the Lammy, felt great. Today is a good day.
Gage
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

Be interesting to see how the insurance companies react. They could still insist on a test as part of the policy requirements
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I'd hope that the insurance companies take into account that it is the law and act accordingly. But you're right, I've got a feeling they could make it awkward. I wouldn't be surprised if they change their policies and we all end up with less cover than we thought.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

hat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:13 pm Be interesting to see how the insurance companies react. They could still insist on a test as part of the policy requirements
If it's not required by law then they can't insist on it, as far as I can tell.

They'll still insist on basic road worthiness and we have to remember that this doesn't remove that responsibility but places the onus on us - with a fine of up to £2500 if it's not. The question here is who will be the judge on that one? Plod in the patrol car? Seized it for inspection if they're suspicious?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Doom Patrol

The police? You'd be lucky if you saw one these days. Too busy painting their nails.
Muttley McLadd

How much is an MOT? Much more than what the insurance company would lower your claim by if their assessor would mark down a claim by if the bike isn't roadworthy?
CakeAndArseParty
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

Muttley McLadd wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:50 pm How much is an MOT? Much more than what the insurance company would lower your claim by if their assessor would mark down a claim by if the bike isn't roadworthy?
The difficulty would be proving roadworthyness if the scoot is a total right off it will be your word against the insurers and they don't need much to not pay out if they can.Most of our scoots value wise for mainly insurance purposes are over 3 grand most of mine are over 7 grand so giving them an excuse to fight paying out for the sake of £30 a year for me is a no brainer.Yes it's a good arguement to say an MOT is only as good for the day you took it in and that is 100% right but its a piece of paper that will prevent a long drawn up arguement with the insurers.No problem with anyone who wants to shout yippee i've saved £30 but just make sure you can prove absolute roadworthyness on your 40 year plus ageing scooter for the slightest of knocks especially if it's your fault and you hit the other vehicle.
Most of us know what we are doing and maintain are scoots to probably a higher standard than the MOT anyway it's those that haven't got a clue what they're doing with them are the worry as they'll just keep using them without doing any maintainance(and yes i know of a few who after 30+ years still don't know how to fix the simpleist of things on them inc a gear cable!)at least once a year it was roadworthy for them.
the man don't give a f@@k
Gage
Main scooter: TV200, P2, VB1+Bambini, GTV300

My view for what it is worth,
The less engagement I have with the Government the better, especially when it is to do with me pottering about on my old shopping bikes. In a free country like ours, surely we only want laws that stop us all doing things where there is a very good reason for it. So for probably the first time I find myself agreeing with the EU, in that removing the MOT requirement for unmodified vehicles over 40 years old, will present little risk additional to society.

For years my MOTs have been a waste of time. The guy 'marking my homework' thinks you need triple hydraulic disks brakes with banking sensitive ABS, to be safe. Good job he can't see the size of the front brake shoes on the VB1 and sidecar (about the size of a chipolata sausage), but I ride within my own limits and the limits of the machine. So I don't present a risk to anyone.

Insurance is interesting, I have not claimed in the 32 years I have been riding, so am hoping to carry that forward. I hope for the same for you all too.

Happy scootering
Gage
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

Gage wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 am My view for what it is worth,
The less engagement I have with the Government the better, especially when it is to do with me pottering about on my old shopping bikes. In a free country like ours, surely we only want laws that stop us all doing things where there is a very good reason for it. So for probably the first time I find myself agreeing with the EU, in that removing the MOT requirement for unmodified vehicles over 40 years old, will present little risk additional to society.

For years my MOTs have been a waste of time. The guy 'marking my homework' thinks you need triple hydraulic disks brakes with banking sensitive ABS, to be safe. Good job he can't see the size of the front brake shoes on the VB1 and sidecar (about the size of a chipolata sausage), but I ride within my own limits and the limits of the machine. So I don't present a risk to anyone.

Insurance is interesting, I have not claimed in the 32 years I have been riding, so am hoping to carry that forward. I hope for the same for you all too.

Happy scootering
Gage
sorry for jumping on this thread but can i point to the thread in the standard scoots and restorations on vehicles of historic interest post.

The criteria for substantial change
A vehicle will be considered substantially changed if the technical characteristics of
the main components have changed in the previous 30 years, unless the changes
fall into specific categories. These main components for vehicles, other than motorcycles(note 2 below), are:
Axles
Chassis (replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered a
substantial change) or Monocoque bodyshell including any sub-frames
(replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered a substantial
change);
Axles and running gear – alteration of the type and or method of suspension or
steering constitutes a substantial change;
Engine – alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative
original equipment engines are not considered a substantial change. If the number

(note 2 )Further arrangements for motorcycles may be introduced, including if core testing standards are considered
further internationally.

according the latest guidance for what substantial changes are ,the above excludes motorcycles and therefoe scooters too
i got on to the helpful chaps at SULK and they contacted DVLA to seek clarification and the people there had no idea ,so have had to go off and seek advice
so great one theresa may !, introduce a policy that even the government agency responsible for it doesnt have a clue what it contains or means for vehicle owners
Doom Patrol

Of course somebody could ask the insurance companies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information