Tubeless Puncture Repair

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Does anyone have any advice or experience with puncture repair on tubeless wheels, especially how it went at the side of the road?

I see SCK advertise a repair kit, are they worth it?
http://www.scooter-center.com/en/produc ... s*2*2*1*16

Currently I don't have a good way of carrying a spare wheel, so looking at either repair kits or the expanding foam type canisters. Plus, riding a series 2 it's difficult to change a rear wheel without letting the air out of it.

Or how about tyre gloop?

Thanks,
George.
fluff34567

The kit above is fine but you will get the same in any motorbike shop.

BUT!! The inflation hose that you screw onto the bottle is crap. You loose most of the pressure.

Look for a valve that allows you to attach the bottle and puncture it afterwards.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

this may be a silly question but what would you do if the valve went on it? your puncture repair kit would be useless and depending on which wheel you used EG FIA the valve wouldn't be easy to obtain either(i couldn't get a spare one anywhere had to go direct to rimini).Also what if you had a blow out try sealing that with your gas cannister.Very fool hardy going without a spare wheel imho but if you can't fit one make sure you're in the AA or RAC then just in case
the man don't give a f@@k
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Motorcycles have tubeless wheels,but they dont carry a spare.
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

I spoke to a regular biker here at work, asking him what happens in his world and he simply showed me his RAC card.

A can of tyre fix is probably another decent get-you-home option, I think it's quite common now for cars to be supplied with that instead of a spare wheel.

I hadn't considered a valve failure. Personally I have SIP rims, perhaps replacement valves are available, I'll have a look at that.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

HxPaul wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:07 pm Motorcycles have tubeless wheels,but they dont carry a spare.
yes i have one and no i can't carry a spare,i got a puncture on it i had to get it relayed as valve had gone
the man don't give a f@@k
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

GeorgeS wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:00 pm
A can of tyre fix is probably another decent get-you-home option, I think it's quite common now for cars to be supplied with that instead of a spare wheel.
Yep, had to use mine on Saturday after a puncture in the car, a sodding great nail. Used the compressor and repair fluid and despite them saying max 50mph and 120 miles, I cruised at 60mph and now done over 200 miles and still no loss of pressure, and that's on a SUV so plenty of weight bearing down. I did try to get the tyre changed that day but nobody had one in stock so had to order one in.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

I carry Holts Tyreweld plus plugs and a couple of gas canisters.
warts
Main scooter: honda

If you have slightly more space and a battery, then a compact 12v pump is far quicker and more likely to fully inflate a tyre. You can get them quite cheap and strip the bulky plastic off.
There are larger gas cylinders which give a bit more puff than a regular soda sized one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-RAC610-Co ... +tyre+pump
once the plastic is off, keep it in an old sock.
There are more expensive, slightly more compact ones in a pouch, but they are more or less the same, apart from costing more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weldtite-Tubel ... YPEACRQGJM
and others.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information