Like Riding a Wheel Barrow.

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Now I always thought that S2's were solid and stable to ride. But I've just got one on the road, and to be honest it's absolutely shocking. It's like riding on a pair of ice skates. I'm usually pretty good at staying upright, but this just feels like I'm going to fall off all the time. I don't know how else to describe it. Usually with tyres you get some sort of feedback, but it just seems like you go off the line and you're over. It rocks to the left, even in a straight line. It's like some sort of torque effect and is particularly notable when I'm changing gear. In short it's absolutely horrible to ride. Now I have ridden a S2 before, and don't remember it being like that. So I'm not sure what's going on here. Any observations would be welcome.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Bent frame/forks perhaps?
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

did you refurbish forks and did you check forklinks were sat level and are they series2 links
scooterslag

Had a issue with handling a couple of years ago, just couldn't get to the bottom of it, checked the frame, had the forks checked out and they were fine, play in the hubs, checked wheel rims for excessive buckling, tried two rear shocks. rebuilt the fork springs etc and it still pulled to the left and any speed over 40 mph was dodgy AF. Turned out in the end to be a bent fork link which wasn't obvious with the front wheel in but when I stripped down the forks and carefully inspected the links- you could see one of them had a slight twist. I'd had a 'off' moment a couple of months prior when the engine heat seized going around a bend and had a impact with a grass verge. Hope you get to the bottom of your handling woes. Paul
The mack daddy on the left!
Doom Patrol

Yes, you'd think frame or forks might be bent. That would explain it perhaps. But, to the best of my knowledge both have been jigged. Fork links might be worth a look perhaps. That was something I hadn't thought of, and the front end is a story in itself. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it wants to turn. I did put a little more pressure in, and although it seemed to help I'm not entirely convinced. I should have stuck to S3's. :lol:
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

didn't fit the wrong taper engine cones or leave one out did you ?

Seriously its probably your tyres have gone hard with age . S3 are brilliant tyres, soft and sticky when new
Doom Patrol

New Anlas Tournee tyres Johnny. But the engine cone is an interesting idea that's worth checking. My mind is going berserk now. Would something like that explain the torque effects I'm noticing?
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

I recently rebuilt the forks on a s2 for someone, the old bushes were flopping around like a cock in a stocking making the handling atrocious could be all thats needed. Have you also checked your rear hub, could be loose or even have the wrong cone, worth a look.
Doom Patrol

Yes, it was one of the first things I did. It's a new Scootopia hub with matching cone. Still, other than a need to vent, this has given me a few things I can look at.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Doom Patrol wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm Yes, you'd think frame or forks might be bent. That would explain it perhaps. But, to the best of my knowledge both have been jigged. Fork links might be worth a look perhaps. That was something I hadn't thought of, and the front end is a story in itself. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it wants to turn. I did put a little more pressure in, and although it seemed to help I'm not entirely convinced. I should have stuck to S3's. :lol:
Ask someone to stand astride the Scooter and rock it forward putting the front brake on. You stand at the front and watch what happens.

I had bent links once. I first noticed this as the front wheel went to one side when the front brake was activated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information