Name change- British Lambretta Owners Association Club

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

timexit17 wrote:I think it's a shame GF couldn't have communicated directly as this would have avoided any doubt or misinterpretation, but we are where we are.
From what I’ve read, most people feel the onus was on the committee to contact him, rather than vice versa. This being because he was happy with his own actions, but they were not. Given they were the aggrieved party, and the ones instigating legal advice/recourse, I can see how that opinion might come about.

Of course he says he’s had no contact from the committee whatsoever, and only 1 letter from a legal representative. I’m sure the LCGB committee would argue otherwise.

But whatever the true and accurate details of the matter are, and only they know that, in the absence of any communication or mediation...I welcome Kev’s input on the matter.

Just my opinion like, I’m no expert.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Don't get me wrong Im not saying Kevs involvement is a negative aspect in itself, Im saying that there should have been more direct communication with the committee, simple.
Donnie.
drunkmunkey6969

Donnie wrote:Don't get me wrong Im not saying Kevs involvement is a negative aspect in itself, Im saying that there should have been more direct communication with the committee, simple.
Agree.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:53 pm
timexit17 wrote:I think it's a shame GF couldn't have communicated directly as this would have avoided any doubt or misinterpretation, but we are where we are.
From what I’ve read, most people feel the onus was on the committee to contact him, rather than vice versa. This being because he was happy with his own actions, but they were not. Given they were the aggrieved party, and the ones instigating legal advice/recourse, I can see how that opinion might come about.

Of course he says he’s had no contact from the committee whatsoever, and only 1 letter from a legal representative. I’m sure the LCGB committee would argue otherwise.

But whatever the true and accurate details of the matter are, and only they know that, in the absence of any communication or mediation...I welcome Kev’s input on the matter.

Just my opinion like, I’m no expert.

I know nothing about the legality of what’s happened or fully understand actually what has happened... :oops: ...I have also not discussed any of this with GF. What I do know a lot about is negotiating. It is quite the obvious thing to find a mediator that’s well respected such as Kev Walsh rather than someone on the committee who’s is not known and may have biased views.
drunkmunkey6969

Timbo wrote:It is quite the obvious thing to find a mediator that’s well respected such as Kev Walsh rather than someone on the committee who’s is not known and may have biased views.
Another good point
servetakid
Main scooter: Jet 200

I don't agree.
Gavin set the tone by going straight into the legal and attempting to register the trademark. That makes any conversation without legal advice a very difficult one to have.

Again if Gavin's claim was truly innocent why the need to go straight into registering trademark?

Also, this whole situation sets a very poor example to others on the scene. If people are able to register trademarks for previously unregistered names/logos without any challenge it could become open season on historic club/business names/logos up and down the country causing further conflict.
drunkmunkey6969

Doom Patrol wrote:If he did cancel his registration of the name would that mean that the LCGB no longer has a case?

Interesting question. This situation is far more complicated than it appears from the outset. There are actually a huge number of permutations of how this could play out.

Best I can see from the outside, Gav took a step toward registering the name BLOA as a trademark. Once the first step of the paperwork was in place, he went about setting up the club and associated merchandise etc.

The LCGB were not happy, and took legal advice on preparing the opposition to the trademark and telling Gav not to use this name BLOA.

So far this all appears to have been at IPO level and a single letter to Gav. No court action has been taken at this point, so you have to assume, that in order to gain back any legal funds spent, which are not associated with a court case, I can only imagine the LCGB would have to actually start a whole new legal line of action, to separately sue for costs/damages which specifically relate to the IPO/trademark issue. Now IF they intended to do that, they may have a better chance if the IPO ruling went in their favour. But if it didn’t, I’d consider all legal fees did to date as pretty much unrecoverable. And even if the ruling did go in their favour, they would have to prove that they tried all reasonable avenues of mediation and negotiation before they started legal action, and even then, there will be limits to what the court considers a fair amount. So again, the IPO legal fees to date, may be money gone, never to be seen again.

After all that, and with or without the IPO final ruling to the opposition. The LCGB could start independent action against GF, completely separately from the IPO issue. Given their recent statement on the chit-chat section of the LCGB forum, I would be surprised if we heard more on that very soon. But this is a whole new set of legal fees, separate to the IPO situation, and court costs can be applied for, if they win. But again...a fair amount, backed up with evidence of proper negotiation taking place.

My own non-professional opinion of the convoluted legality surrounding this whole thing, is that it’s going to be very costly. No matter what. Solicitors abs Barristers get paid to interpret the law. Those interpretation may or may not have merit in the eyes of the judge. I’ve yet to meet a legal professional who didn’t think they ‘had a case to argue’...that’s what they bill you for, collating evidence, setting out a position, making an argument. No matter how clear cut the morality issue for some, the legal issue is far from simple, and definitely not cheap, almost certainly not recoverable.

If Gav changed his club name, logo and merchandise to something agreeable to the LCGB...and gave up the BLOA trademark, then yes...it probably would mean the LCGB no longer had a case to pursue in that respect. They may still want to spend more money to try and sue for costs though? But like paying the next ante to try and win your money back when gambling.

Short of the IPO ruling in the LCGBs favour, them winning a case for costs, and GF ceasing all activity...I don’t see the LCGB winning anything here.

On the other side, short of the LCGB ceasing all IPO opposition, legal action, and 5000 people joining BLOA...I don’t see GF winning anything here either.

Essentially there are no winners...except the barristers.
drunkmunkey6969

servetakid wrote:
I don't agree.
Gavin set the tone by going straight into the legal and attempting to register the trademark. That makes any conversation without legal advice a very difficult one to have.

Again if Gavin's claim was truly innocent why the need to go straight into registering trademark?

Also, this whole situation sets a very poor example to others on the scene. If people are able to register trademarks for previously unregistered names/logos without any challenge it could become open season on historic club/business names/logos up and down the country causing further conflict.
I’m just commenting on what I’ve observed other people as saying/writing.

Plus...legally registering a trademark is not ‘legal action’. Instructing a barrister is the start of that process. The reason you instruct a barrister, is because you are unhappy with someone. The point some people are making is: why not mediate first That’s all I’ve observed in people’s comments.

Also, this isn’t the first case of its kind within the scooter community. We’ve been in similar territory before.
servetakid
Main scooter: Jet 200

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:37 pm
servetakid wrote:

I don't agree.

I’m just commenting on what I’ve observed other people as saying/writing.

Plus...legally registering a trademark is not ‘legal action’. Instructing a barrister is the start of that process. The reason you instruct a barrister, is because you are unhappy with someone. The point some people are making is: why not mediate first That’s all I’ve observed in people’s comments.

Also, this isn’t the first case of its kind within the scooter community. We’ve been in similar territory before.
I didn't say legal action. Gavin made the first move by attempting to register the trademark with the legal body respoible for such things. Hence making any friendly chat very awkward indeed.
Steveshipley
Main scooter: Sx150

I agree DM, I know from personal experience to be successful through Small Claims you must demonstrate you've done all you reasonably can to seek redress before you go in front of a judge. I'm not aware LCGB have done this, bearing in mind they seem to be the plaintiff.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information