Name change- British Lambretta Owners Association Club

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

i personally would have no issue with the name change to BLOC i used to be an MG owner and there are 3 car clubs for that marque MG owners club / MG Octagon Car club and MG car club. they coexist without confusion.
however some may not feel as generous as me and some more so i understand those views as well. for me "Lambretta owners UK" steers as far clear as possible from ex LCGB names
its the use of that logo that the difficulty is with and also the trademark application for the BLOA name has not been retracted
also just dawned on me LCGB members signing on for the BSM championship could be as cost effective way of gauging support for the action taken by the committee
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

To be fair WM, a good deal of LCGB members don't bother signing on for the BSM - I do it religiously though but many don't.

I have no issue with the name.
I do have an issue with the logo however as it is far too close to the BLOA logo to not be regarded as liable to 'confuse'.

I do however feel there is a great deal of consensus by both sides and neutral observers on this and all other threads however?

GF needs to
1. drop the claim for trademark of the name 'British Lambretta Owners Association' he can do this by using the link provided to him yesterday without cost in 5 minutes flat.
2. cancel his 'copyright' registration and/or sign an agreement with the LCGB the copyright is theirs*
3. let Kev Walsh know who can then pass this on to the LCGB committee.

He can then move on and given a few years it'll all be forgotten I am sure.

*incidentally I, for one, would VERY much like to know what imagery was registered for copyright as I think this is very pertinent indeed.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

timexit17 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:04 pm
GF needs to
1. drop the claim for trademark of the name 'British Lambretta Owners Association' he can do this by using the link provided to him yesterday without cost in 5 minutes flat.
Yep, not rocket science.
timexit17 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:04 pm 2. cancel his 'copyright' registration and/or sign an agreement with the LCGB the copyright is theirs*
Yep
timexit17 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:04 pm3. let Kev Walsh know who can then pass this on to the LCGB committee.
I don't even get why Kev was involved in the first place, all comms should have gone through a committee member from the off.
timexit17 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:04 pm*incidentally I, for one, would VERY much like to know what imagery was registered for copyright as I think this is very pertinent indeed.
Indeed, its been asked several times but he keeps avoiding any answer so don't hold your breath.
Donnie.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

If he did cancel his registration of the name would that mean that the LCGB no longer has a case?
timexit17

In the trademark issue?
Yes, there would be no case.

In the copyright issue?
The LCGB still have a case here, since GF has claimed 'something' is registered with the copyright service for 10 years.
Now, this can only be imagery and if it is or resembles anything 'likely to confuse' image wise to original BLOA etc logos.
The sensible option would be to sign an agreement anything BLOA image wise is no longer claimed by him and to let his registration service know this (preferably before he signs the agreement- and that is me being very fair by the way).

All done & dusted and at little or no cost to either party.

Donnie - I don't know why Kev was involved and there are several theories I could surmise, but I'll settle for 'a vanilla one' - they are both from Liverpool and GF says he doesn't know any of the committee.
eden
Dealer

Or Kev is a member of both ;)
timexit17

So are lots of people Eden.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

I think Kev Walsh only wants what’s best for the club, and is happy to talk to anyone on any basis to find a solution, or middle ground. The fact that he is in communication with Gav is only a good thing in my opinion.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
timexit17

and mine DM, Kev is a great ambassador for scootering in general and 'Lambrettisting' specifically.

I think it's a shame GF couldn't have communicated directly as this would have avoided any doubt or misinterpretation, but we are where we are.
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

Doom Patrol wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:15 pm If he did cancel his registration of the name would that mean that the LCGB no longer has a case?

do you mean the BLOA trademark application ?

on that aspect id say yes

The IPO site says there is no uk copyright registration , any continuing case maybe based on alleged unauthorised used of the image thus far.

The IPO site has lots of interesting info set out in bullet point guidelines
by reading some of it people can gain some insight at the issues at play and make a more informed judgement surrounding the case at hand.

Having an intermediatary is not such a bad idea as it might diffuse some of the conflict although whom is a matter for both parties.

i hope an out of court settlement is reached, message sent to others ,lessons can be learnt, before it overshadows the entire rally/ scooter events calender this year.
then we can all get back to arguing how many microns thick the plating on some obscure component of a scooter should be

id just love to buy a BLOA badge like i saw on a scooter at Discodez's, i just want to know im buying it from a legit source i wouldnt want somebody from tradind standards trying to lever it off especially not after its £2.1k paintjob !!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information