Name change- British Lambretta Owners Association Club

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Nic

eden wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:47 am
Nic wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 am Ok GF. Have it your way. Some time, I'll happily share with you my experience as an expert witness in a legal dispute in 2000-2001 over "passing off", between two financial companies called 3i and iii.

The many thousands of pages, which include testimony from graphic design experts, legal opinion, focus group testing to determine the potential for confusion between visitors to each other's websites, and much much more, were all stored in my garage and survived our house fire.

I was involved in that case for over a year. I saw every submission, read the legal arguments and wrote the rebuttals. And yes, I was on the winning side.

But you do what you think best, chap.

Can we all read into this that if the LCGB loose and in doing so also loose much of the MEMBERS money that you would have been instrumental in pushing them ahead to pursue the case?
I for one will hold you partly responsible for sure!
You are free to interpret things as you see fit.

As I see it, I'm offering my opinion in a bid to avoid all this pain, in the direct knowledge of what is sometimes involved.

But for the record, I have no input whatsoever into any decisions by the LCGB committee or the legal advice it receives. I have not offered any and it has not been sought, verbally.orminwriting

It might be helpful if, instead of having a go at me, you focus on the issues.
coaster

Gavin J Frankland wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:57 am If that's the best you say coaster you are better off in bed.
At least I can sleep easily ;)
servetakid
Main scooter: Jet 200

Again, what is the point of changing the name but not dropping the claim to the words British Lambretta Owners Association?

It cannot be acceptable for you to hold the trademark on that name as you have already played tricks to remove the LCGB club items from eBay.

Surely if the aim was truly a club for enthusiasts then there would be no value in retaining something you are not going to use.
eden
Dealer

Nic wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:00 am
Nic wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 am Ok GF. Have it your way. Some time, I'll happily share with you my experience as an expert witness in a legal dispute in 2000-2001 over "passing off", between two financial companies called 3i and iii.

The many thousands of pages, which include testimony from graphic design experts, legal opinion, focus group testing to determine the potential for confusion between visitors to each other's websites, and much much more, were all stored in my garage and survived our house fire.

I was involved in that case for over a year. I saw every submission, read the legal arguments and wrote the rebuttals. And yes, I was on the winning side.

But you do what you think best, chap.

Can we all read into this that if the LCGB loose and in doing so also loose much of the MEMBERS money that you would have been instrumental in pushing them ahead to pursue the case?

As I see it, I'm offering my opinion in a bid to avoid all this pain, in the direct knowledge of what is sometimes involved.

But for the record, I have no input whatsoever into any decisions by the LCGB committee or the legal advice it receives. I have not offered any and it has not been sought, verbally.orminwriting

Im not having a go at you, im just pointing out how your statements can be interpreted. More than once you have used the words "we" and "us" and stated how you have been involved in advising the committee, yet now your saying you haven't. LOL
You saying your trying to "avoid all this pain" is laughable considering the personal attacks you have thrown around over the last few weeks, one of which on an old long standing friend of yours.

Still, its not surprising as its what i expect from someone with a wishy washy character like yours.

Maybe if you STFU chatting s**t things could move on :)
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

eden wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:29 am

Im not having a go at you, im just pointing out how your statements can be interpreted. More than once you have used the words "we" and "us" and stated how you have been involved in advising the committee, yet now your saying you haven't. LOL
You saying your trying to "avoid all this pain" is laughable considering the personal attacks you have thrown around over the last few weeks, one of which on an old long standing friend of yours.

Still, its not surprising as its what i expect from someone with a wishy washy character like yours.

Plus 1......his negotiation skills might be fine when dealing with unions, but something like this demands a bit more restraint and diplomacy as shown by most of the other members of the LCGB that have expressed their opinion. Even Dan in different words suggested he STFU.
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

Bit of a difference telling someone to STFU rather than just moderating/restraining their replies.
Some might see that as trying to shut the argument down?

There's been plenty of crap both in opinion and statements 'fact!' on this thread which have little basis in the truth.
Nic

eden wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:29 am
Nic wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:00 am

I've made it clear that on the issue of copyright my primary argument was always the moral one. That remains the case. The vast majority of my posts, on here or on FB, supports this.

The evidence also suggests that you choose to interpret things in a way that suits your narrative, regardless of what I say.

It doesn't work.

On-topic: I have not been asked for or given any advice to the LCGB on this issue or any other issue. I do support the LCGB and its committee and believe it will make the right choices on respect of the BLOA legal claim.

On-topic: although I stress that I'm not a lawyer, based on direct experience I believe there may be issues for GF and his organisation related to the common law tort of "passing off".

You are, of course, free to dismiss my comments as wrong or biased. If so, you might want to tell us why. But telling me to STFU is unlikely to be seen as a helpful contribution to the debate.
Gavin J Frankland
Main scooter: sx200

Severtakid, I'm not retaining the name for anything. But I can't just get rid of it. My copyright runs out in 2022 I think, that is when legally I can walk away from it.
Coaster, yes I can, even if I do get threats through the post.
servetakid
Main scooter: Jet 200

You could just sign over the trademark over to the LCGB as the objecting party?

There is no benefit to you retaining that trademark as that will only fuel this current situation.

BLOC is a bit close to the wire but it is a step forward.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

timexit17 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:13 am Bit of a difference telling someone to STFU rather than just moderating/restraining their replies.
Some might see that as trying to shut the argument down?
Fair point Tim, i’m not trying to shut the argument down but just trying to stop someone adding fuel to the fire with lies and snidey comments.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information