Scootering 2-Stroke Oil Article

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

I read the 2-stroke oil article in Scootering last night and found it interesting.

I was wondering if it has changed anyone's point of view or what bottle their next 2-stroke purchase would be?
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I read it and it didn't change my view at all. I use cheap Rock Oil Groundsman and have done for for several years covering several thousands of miles. Never had any issues and no sign of issues when replacing piston rings every couple of years.

Ultimately if your current oil does the job you need it to and you are happy then why change? I would challenge those who put £15 a litre racing fully synth in standard engines though as it just isn't needed.
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

I'm using the same, Burnside, and I'm sure you also saw the mention in the article to these type of oils and what they may be missing in the list of ingredients. I've only been using it a year so my own experience is limited.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Yes I did, but for me the proof is in the pudding. I'm running 2 GT kits and I spoke to Rich T and his view was that cheap semi was more than adequate and it has proven to be the case. I've done over 10k miles on these kits now, others like Eden a lot more.

In fact I only ordered another 25 litres last weekend
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Yes I read it and found it very interesting but I’m still happily using Rockoil Groundsman. I started using it on hearing The exploits of that Eden fella who covers thousands of miles on the stuff, speaks volumes that much more so than some corporate advertising blurb on a tin of £15 a litre stuff with a pretty label.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

A fool and his money are soon parted.
People I ride with buy the.most expensive oil and I never understand. It at all.
Oil snobbery. I buy mine when I go to France. Auchan's own semi synthetic £8.50 for 2 litres.

Those that know little about mechanical things always wrongly assume they have total protection when in reality it is far more important to ensure that air to petrol mixture is correct; that's what causes problems.
Look at the original SX200 legshield sticker.
2% of SAE40. A far cry from today's purchases.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Chris in Margate wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:38 pm A fool and his money are soon parted.
People I ride with buy the.most expensive oil and I never understand. It at all.
Oil snobbery. I buy mine when I go to France. Auchan's own semi synthetic £8.50 for 2 litres.

Those that know little about mechanical things always wrongly assume they have total protection when in reality it is far more important to ensure that air to petrol mixture is correct; that's what causes problems.
Look at the original SX200 legshield sticker.
2% of SAE40. A far cry from today's purchases.
You dont need to go that far.I get 20 litres delivered for less than £60,thats only £3 per litre.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXOL-SEMI-SY ... Swbw1aBY~2 I decant mine into a 1 litre bottle when needed.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

I go for the wine. The oil just happens to be there. Lol.
onthelam
Main scooter: not yet

Admittedly not Lambretta and not air cooled but I have done many miles on my Honda NSR250 (changed to 300) cruises at 9500 RPM. I use Shell VSX as the fully synthetic version is not available here.
It is not expensive and readily available.
Scoot
Main scooter: Lambretta Jet200

I bought 25L of Groundsman for £70 including postage. That’s £2.80 per litre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information