Scootering 2-Stroke Oil Article

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Well, I suppose that is conclusive proof that the article hasn't really changed anything. I hear what they are saying. But in practice it doesn't seem to be bourne out.
Meds1
Main scooter: Lambretta li150s

I thought the article lacked any real info on the additives etc, so I’m none the wiser, I stick with my exol.
I loved the ginger step child
Doom Patrol

Can anybody actually pull up any specs that compare their dedicated scooter oil to a certain, well known mower oil? I've looked and they seem thin on the ground. So, it's really difficult to verify what they are saying.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

I believed in Father Christmas the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy; facts prove none of this was true but I believed that made me feel good; sometimes it’s better we don’t know the facts so we can believe whatever we want ;)
C’est la vie
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Just to be clear... the article wasn’t trying to change people’s buying habits, it made no reference to what type or brand anyone should buy, and certainly didn’t suggest we should all be using £15 per litre oil.

The brief was very simple: visit an oil manufacturer, ask relevant questions which they’d be willing to answer and that the average layman could appreciate the response to... that was it.

Andy Brown from FUCHS was very helpful, explaining the rudimentary basics of base stock oils, applications of some additives, technical aspects, potential pitfalls and problems, what mixes ok with what, and answers some commonly posed questions. That’s it.

Did/could/would/should he recommend a particular oil, suggest anyone should change brands or spend more money? Nope.

I agree with what’s been said here already...if the person who designed/manufactured an engine/kit etc and recommends a particular oil and/or percentage mix...or I’d listen to the man. Like others said...find an oil which works for you and covers your needs...and stick with it.

The article was just intended to increase knowledge, and provided (hopefully) some useful information...if/how people translate that to their own needs is entirely up to them, in my opinion.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Doom Patrol

Nobody is knocking the article Mr Monkey.
gtwildcat
Main scooter: lambretta GT200

Just out of interest, what do the Tech guys at Rock oil say about using groundsman oil in scooters? Has anybody ever asked? Obviously it’s been used for thousands of miles by lots of people so I was just wondering how the Tech guys at rock oil use the feedback From the scooterists who use it? It would be interesting to see the response from Rock oil as a company.
Doom Patrol

No, don't! They'll put the price up. :D

I think I did e.mail them on one occassion and mentioned Groundsman being used in scooters. I got zero response on that. Although, I think they must be aware of it.
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

How available is groundsman without having to buy in bulk? I’ve never seen it in any scooter shops but i can pick up a bottle of rock oil anywhere
coaster

hat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:24 pm How available is groundsman without having to buy in bulk? I’ve never seen it in any scooter shops but i can pick up a bottle of rock oil anywhere

You won't find it any scooter shops, Garden Centres or agricultural equipment suppliers possibly but the best way is to buy in bulk and decant it yourself. I buy in 5 litre drums, usually 2 at a time but I have bought singly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information