Aint legal

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
User avatar
GTFOMWSC
registered user
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:49 pm
ebay user ID: itsthewillo
Main scooter: jet225 johnny the fox
Location: Rugby
Contact:

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:44 am

Burnside wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 am
GTFOMWSC wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:25 pm
Burnside wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:00 pm


Cost me just under £300 to pass my test, saved more than that by not having to do CBTs, insurance, etc. since. I just don't buy that it's cheaper to keep doing CBTs than to pass your test.
Depends in which decade you took it i took mine 5 years ago and didn't get much change out of £800 and you could only use the training companys vehicle,now as its become compulsory to take 1 cbt at least with 1 lesson,1 theory,1 part 1 with 2 lessons,1 main test with 2 lessons and a day course.I took the biggest bike test not the 2 lesser cc ones so it could theoretically be cheaper if you took one of those not sure.
6 years ago for me, so that test was pretty much format as it is now, theory test, Mod1 and Mod2. I went down to the training center, they knew I had been riding for many years and so took me out for a quick ride on one of their motorbikes to assess how much training they thought I needed (for free) to pass my test. The outcome was 1 day training which included 1/2 day at the test center to practice the Mod1 part, then straight into my tests. So this totaled 2 days including the 2 tests (1 day training, 2 half days for the tests) which was £200 plus the cost of the tests.

Anyone who has been riding a number of years should not need to splash out on a full training course, especially those that consider themselves as great riders as many who have numerous CBTs under their belts do. 1 day training to get used to the bike and Mod1 course and do the tests.


For the record their is no compulsory minimum number of lessons, any riding school that tells you that is pulling a fast one. I asked a friend of mine who happens to own a riding school and he confirmed this, they recommend a minimum of 2 days training for people who have little experience but just the 1 day as they did for me for experienced riders just to get familiar with the bike and the Mod1 test.

Which bike test was it the all access? for that they wouldn't let me take a single lesson on a 650 as legally i had only ever ridden a 125(and i do say legally i coudn't tell them i had already ridden a 550 for several years when i was younger).Even then if you add yours up your close to nearly £500+ with the cost of the tests and skipping a few lessons so pretty well the same cost in the end with the 2 tests,1 cbt and theory or did they not do the theory 6 years ago? add it up.
the man don't give a f@@k

User avatar
Burnside
registered user
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200
Location: Norwich
Contact:

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 am

Yes direct access.

Where does the other £200+ come from? I paid £200 to the riding school, and can't remember the costs of the tests then but would assume that they were lower than the current costs which are £23 for theory, £15.50 for Mod1 and £75 for Mod2, so total cost £313.50. You could add the £99 cost of the CBT to that as well but that was 18 months previous

User avatar
GTFOMWSC
registered user
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:49 pm
ebay user ID: itsthewillo
Main scooter: jet225 johnny the fox
Location: Rugby
Contact:

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 am

Burnside wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 am
Yes direct access.

Where does the other £200+ come from? I paid £200 to the riding school, and can't remember the costs of the tests then but would assume that they were lower than the current costs which are £23 for theory, £15.50 for Mod1 and £75 for Mod2, so total cost £313.50. You could add the £99 cost of the CBT to that as well but that was 18 months previous
my theory was £35 each test was over £100 you had to use their bike which they charged you for plus the days usage/lesson
the man don't give a f@@k

User avatar
GTFOMWSC
registered user
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:49 pm
ebay user ID: itsthewillo
Main scooter: jet225 johnny the fox
Location: Rugby
Contact:

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 pm

GTFOMWSC wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 am
Burnside wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 am
Yes direct access.

Where does the other £200+ come from? I paid £200 to the riding school, and can't remember the costs of the tests then but would assume that they were lower than the current costs which are £23 for theory, £15.50 for Mod1 and £75 for Mod2, so total cost £313.50. You could add the £99 cost of the CBT to that as well but that was 18 months previous
my theory was £23 each test was over £100 you had to use their bike which they charged you for plus the days usage/lesson
just looked at what i paid the cbt was £120 with their bike as didn't own a 125!,2 lessons on the 650 (and no i didn't own a 650) £170 inc their bike,mod 1 £360 inc bike,lesson and test,mod 2 £260 inc bike,lesson all day route practice and test in all i paid £833 with Rugby rider training yes i agree expensive but i could only use locally,checking other ones a minimum from start to finish was £550 all in including lessons but screwed if i was travelling miles each day to save the money as i'd lose in other ways.
the man don't give a f@@k

YAMLAM
registered user
Posts: 818
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 pm
Contact:

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm

No other reason to buy one if you've passed your test there's no way you'd want to be on a 125.Passing your test would prevent all this but doing so is so costly these days It's an easier option to buy a ts1 reg as a 125 as in reality who is going to roadside check you.I haven't been stopped in years on any scoot be it my P2,DR166 or any of my lammy 230's any plod nowadays wouldn't have a clue so why actually bother passing the test in any case.

Until you have an accident and kill someone like i did on my Lammy.
then the old bill /insurers/ courts will tear you a new @rseh@le
[/quote]
win or lose have a booze

User avatar
Burnside
registered user
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200
Location: Norwich
Contact:

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:43 pm

GTFOMWSC wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 am
Burnside wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 am
Yes direct access.

Where does the other £200+ come from? I paid £200 to the riding school, and can't remember the costs of the tests then but would assume that they were lower than the current costs which are £23 for theory, £15.50 for Mod1 and £75 for Mod2, so total cost £313.50. You could add the £99 cost of the CBT to that as well but that was 18 months previous
my theory was £35 each test was over £100 you had to use their bike which they charged you for plus the days usage/lesson
The £200 I paid the riding school included the use of their bike, £100 for the 1 day training and £100 for the 2 half days for the test. Then it was just the tests, but I added it all up at the time and I had a couple of quid change from £300 in total

User avatar
GTFOMWSC
registered user
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:49 pm
ebay user ID: itsthewillo
Main scooter: jet225 johnny the fox
Location: Rugby
Contact:

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Burnside wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:43 pm
GTFOMWSC wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 am
Burnside wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 am
Yes direct access.

Where does the other £200+ come from? I paid £200 to the riding school, and can't remember the costs of the tests then but would assume that they were lower than the current costs which are £23 for theory, £15.50 for Mod1 and £75 for Mod2, so total cost £313.50. You could add the £99 cost of the CBT to that as well but that was 18 months previous
my theory was £35 each test was over £100 you had to use their bike which they charged you for plus the days usage/lesson
The £200 I paid the riding school included the use of their bike, £100 for the 1 day training and £100 for the 2 half days for the test. Then it was just the tests, but I added it all up at the time and I had a couple of quid change from £300 in total
you can check if you like by going on there website its still the same cost so in reality you got a good deal but not everyone will get one and they won't be paying as little as you did
the man don't give a f@@k

User avatar
GTFOMWSC
registered user
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:49 pm
ebay user ID: itsthewillo
Main scooter: jet225 johnny the fox
Location: Rugby
Contact:

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:00 pm

YAMLAM wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm
No other reason to buy one if you've passed your test there's no way you'd want to be on a 125.Passing your test would prevent all this but doing so is so costly these days It's an easier option to buy a ts1 reg as a 125 as in reality who is going to roadside check you.I haven't been stopped in years on any scoot be it my P2,DR166 or any of my lammy 230's any plod nowadays wouldn't have a clue so why actually bother passing the test in any case.

Until you have an accident and kill someone like i did on my Lammy.
then the old bill /insurers/ courts will tear you a new @rseh@le
[/quote]

exactly that's why every one of mine is declared on my insurance so if i did unluckily have one my side is completely covered and if the other party isn't then they deserve everything thrown at them tbh
the man don't give a f@@k

mick1
registered user
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:43 pm
ebay user ID: saxonleaf
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225
Location: York
Contact:

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:18 pm

Can't ride on motorways unless you've passed your test.

Get pinged by the police whilst on the motorway on your "125" and it will give the drivers details....possible points and other consequences for those without a full license.

User avatar
rosscla
registered user
Posts: 5391
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta
Location: Lanarkshire
Contact:

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:09 pm

TF I passed mine 30 odd years ago.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests