Casa ssr265

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
scooterslag

lot of coin for a engine and probably be a pain in the arse to live with, not to mention way to much for the 50 + year old frame geometry. Thats the main problem, all very well coming up with these mad engines but if your scoot is going to be wildly unrideable then whats the point? yes you can move the engine back a bit to improve the wheel base etc etc but its still not going to able to utilise all the power properly and feel twitchy as f@@k on the motorway at top revs.
The mack daddy on the left!
Muttley McLadd

wrecklessrobbie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:19 pm :shock: 8k for an engine.....something thats not actually a lambretta engine. Its an engine built to fit into a lambretta.
Interesting that people find this acceptable yet dismiss with hostility scomadis or other auto scooters.
People seem to be happy riding Indian built Lambretta replicas too. Fickle cunts, some people.
CakeAndArseParty
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

People seem to be happy riding Indian built Lambretta replicas too. Fickle c*nt5, some people.

Not sure what you mean by that :oops: :oops:

Me i dont care what anyone rides. Be it vespa , lambretta , scomadi or necco abruzzo.
2 or 4 stroke matters not to me.

As long as people enjoy what they ride.

I have always been into classic restorations but over the years my opinion has shifted.
Mainly by reading on here and other sites and seeing scooters on the streets.
Think i now prefer anything that is home built as much as possible. Original ideas etc.
Rustorations or restorations. So long as someone has spent time and effort on it and not just thrown a check book at it with a dealer to do it.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

wrecklessrobbie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:19 pm :shock: 8k for an engine.....something thats not actually a lambretta engine. Its an engine built to fit into a lambretta.
Interesting that people find this acceptable yet dismiss with hostility scomadis or other auto scooters.
Bit of a difference as the frame dictates what the scooter is.....i’ve Just had my RT engine built in a new SIL casing, makes perfect sense. If I could have afforded it I would have chosen the new GT casing.....
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

wrecklessrobbie wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:04 am People seem to be happy riding Indian built Lambretta replicas too. Fickle c*nt5, some people.

Not sure what you mean by that :oops: :oops:

Me i dont care what anyone rides. Be it vespa , lambretta , scomadi or necco abruzzo.
2 or 4 stroke matters not to me.

As long as people enjoy what they ride.

I have always been into classic restorations but over the years my opinion has shifted.
Mainly by reading on here and other sites and seeing scooters on the streets.
Think i now prefer anything that is home built as much as possible. Original ideas etc.
Rustorations or restorations. So long as someone has spent time and effort on it and not just thrown a check book at it with a dealer to do it.
Bit of a contradiction there.Some people aren't mechanically minded,does that mean that they're precluded from riding.
wrecklessrobbie

Errrr no. If it comes across as a contradiction sorry. People can only do what they can do with regards scooters, cars houses or anything in life.
My engine building is very very limited. But i have a go. I also try to paint and rebuild. Sometimes looks like kevin aged 7 did it :oops: but i will try.
I personally prefer homebuilt and own engineering wherever possible.
I dislike 20k to joe bloggs superdooper build me an engine.
10 k to fred bloggs super sprayer paint me a custom paint job.
10 k to mrs bloggs build it into a show winner then i can tell everyone about my scooter i built but never ride. But thats my opinion. Other opinins are available.
Its each to there own. I dont judge anyones machine or the rider.
I tend to now just look at what i like or would want to try and build if i was talented enough.
Robbie
wrecklessrobbie

Bit of a difference as the frame dictates what the scooter is.....i’ve Just had my RT engine built in a new SIL casing, makes perfect sense. If I could have afforded it I would have chosen the new GT casing.....

The frame dictates what the scooter is......really?
So if someone builds an sx200 and puts in a sil cased engine is it an sx200?
If you put a vespa gt engine in a lambretta frame is it still a lambretta?
Different people will give you a different opinion.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... yep, frame dictates what a vehicle is. In the above example the bike would still be an SX200, an SX200 with a different engine in.

Back to previous comment made... are people still hostile to Scomadis? I've noted more and more cropping up at events and they strike me as being no less accepted than Vespa GTSs, which are a part of the scene that is fitting and welcome. I remember people saying similar things about Spanish Lambrettas, Vespa T5s, etc.

Personally, I'm all for whatever people want to ride, what they fancy fitting in the way of motor, kit, etc. I'm not even anti the Modena scooters that are starting to be seen... not if they get people interested in the scene and help dealers to make a crust, which also means that those dealers are also there for me to buy Vespa or Lambretta parts from too. If there is nobody interested in the scene then there will be no dealers, no cheap spares, fewer rider's rights groups that might help us keep our dirty old bikes on the road for a few more years, etc.

As for this engine... why not? OK, I'll never have one as the price pushes it out of my range but that doesn't mean that I'm anti them, far from it. For those that are in a position to buy one, good luck to them. These motors, and many of the other top end options available (e.g. Targa Twin, SuperMonza, etc.) are amazing and I love the fact that dealers are still prepared to invest so much time and money into their development (well done and thanks).

Just my thoughts :)

Adam
mawso

Would be interesting to see a table of sales figures for all the kit options. Like been said the development and investment is to be praised in pushing boundaries but how many are sold in the long run.

RB kit is around 10 years old, TS1 is 30+ years old, but there's so many out there now that some must have only sold in double figures. Market must be saturated surely and with average age of riders knocking on I thought people were looking more at a torquey and smooth ride over peaky revs and pulling your arms off.
Muttley McLadd

Pfft.. an SX200 with an asian engine is a bitsa.
CakeAndArseParty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information