Scooter Prices Dropping

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

bristolmod wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:13 am not so sure- That TV200 I bought bought off an old boy last week- £95.00 Somebody must have tipped him off..........
:lol: :lol:
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
drunkmunkey6969

Lamaddict wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:27 pm Looking about the prices seem to be dropping?
Shite time of year...weather is crap, season is over, anyone who wants to change/upgrade/offload are all trying to sell at the same time, family summer holidays are still being paid off and the expense of Christmas looms around the corner! (Bah humbug)

You wait til Feb/March...then tell me prices are dropping! lol

In my opinion, the only thing that could possibly encourage any sort of long-term price plateau, or even drop, would be if older riders either give up and sell off, or convert to modern alternatives (Royal Alloy, Lambretta V-Special, Scomadi, GTS etc). But I can't see that having a huge effect, a lot of people want to own BOTH!
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I just sold my li150 special lookylikey for 5k. It was a bit nice and had a peach of a motor but I still think it's quite high for a pretend special.
Lamaddict

I’ve seen some original Italian and Spanish Specials going for very good prices and that’s want was making me wonder about the price dropping.
I know SX200, TV’ s and Italian GP200 are still selling well.
Vespas seem cheaper.
Muttley McLadd

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:39 am
In my opinion, the only thing that could possibly encourage any sort of long-term price plateau, or even drop, would be if older riders either give up and sell off, or convert to modern alternatives (Royal Alloy, Lambretta V-Special, Scomadi, GTS etc). But I can't see that having a huge effect, a lot of people want to own BOTH!
Or die off. Looking at the photos some people post on FB, there's a lot look like they don't have long left.
CakeAndArseParty
drunkmunkey6969

Muttley McLadd wrote: Or die off. Looking at the photos some people post on FB, there's a lot look like they don't have long left.
Get in line behind the undertaker, in fact you could team up with Coop funeral service nationwide....once they’ve measured up make a ‘fair offer’ to assist with funeral costs.
GFlint
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

I think a lot of people have a collection for a retirement plan. Some are coming of an age to sell and others family will be selling them off after they've passed on. People are more clued up on the prices nowadays so getting a bargain might be harder to come by!
If you don't tinker, you won't learn anything, but you won't break anything either :)
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

A scooter as a retirement plan :shock: :shock:
Its to be hoped they have lots of scooters. 10 k for an SX or GP doesnt go far.
As for prices dropping im not sure.
I have been amazed that they have gone up and up to be honest. It seems the demand is still strong.
However my brain keeps telling me it will come to an end. Most scooterists are mid 50s ish. Some older some younger. The older ones will die sooner rather than later. More scooters will come onto the market. Prices will drop.
Thats what my brain says but its not happening yet.
Are young people buying classic scooters? Will the demand remain strong?
scooterslag

wrecklessrobbie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:02 pm A scooter as a retirement plan :shock: :shock:
Its to be hoped they have lots of scooters. 10 k for an SX or GP doesnt go far.
As for prices dropping im not sure.
I have been amazed that they have gone up and up to be honest. It seems the demand is still strong.
However my brain keeps telling me it will come to an end. Most scooterists are mid 50s ish. Some older some younger. The older ones will die sooner rather than later. More scooters will come onto the market. Prices will drop.
Thats what my brain says but its not happening yet.
I doubt it, most youngsters would opt for something easy to ride like a auto or completely ignore two wheels and go for four, can't blame them really, why would the spend a small fortune on a old lambretta when for the same money they can buy a car and insurance and go out with all their mates to festivals, gigs etc
The mack daddy on the left!
Muttley McLadd

wrecklessrobbie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:02 pm
I sold my lambretta to a lad of about 30. Demand will not remain strong.
CakeAndArseParty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information