Frame Number... or ‘lack of’

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I have an imported Vespa (‘72 GTr 125) that I bought around five years ago and the area that frame number is stamped (below l/h fixed side panel) has suffered some surface corrosion over the years & as a result of the pitting from the surface rust, the frame number is basically illegible.
I was aware of this when I acquired the scooter, it’s all legit & nothing dodgy - it was originally a German Military Signal bike & it came with some documentation from back when they released it, showing the original frame & engine numbers...
I want to get the scooter UK registered & to do so I need a dating cert - but without being able to provide a legible photo or pencil rubbing of the physical frame number I can’t do this...
So my question is - what’s are my options with regard to re-instating the frame number onto the frame within the parameters of legality?
Can I simply Re-stamp the original numbers (as stated on the German Army release doc) in the original location on the frame ? Or - is it better practice to stamp the number on a small plate & then rivet to frame over original location ?? ....and would the latter suffice for obtaining a dating cert for DVLA purposes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Hi Graham

Stamp the number on a piece of metal like you've said. This is the method I've used with my Rally 200.

Good luck with it.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

Cheers for the reply Paddy.
How’s the Rally resto coming on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information