Nordlock washers

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

dennis wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:01 pm Front or back,or both wheels with loose nuts?.
just the back,fronts are same but haven't removed them as using disc on it they haven't loosened
the man don't give a f@@k
GTFOMWSC

diesel wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:03 pm Theres some interesting information on the following clip regarding increasing the torque rating for certain materials. Apparently the nordlock washer creates resistance which needs to be overcome to achieve full torque. I lost three nuts on a sip alloy and thought I had a puncture, the nuts are an oddball size so I had to borrow nuts from the front wheel and bodge another with a large washer because ordinary nuts wont fit in the wheel nut recess . I now have two spare sets in the tool kit but have not had to use them. Ive painted lines on the nuts face so I can tell at a glance if they've moved. If an adult could look over the following clip and verify if torque needs to be increased by 20% for alloy Rims.

[youtube][/youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPCfd4Zr6rE
thanks good reading that i did add a bit more torque on them did it at 24 rather than 18 the second time but still came loose.Gonna try it with them all facing same way up tomorrow and see if it comes loose then.If it does i'll change it to a split rim just can't risk a 300 mile round trip constantly worrying that the wheel might fall off.
GTFOMWSC

garry inglis wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 pm all i can think of is are the studs tight in hub and check the thread in the nuts you get also is the hub origional or new when you put the wheel on is it sitting tight on the flat ridges on the hub
All good with those parts it was perfectly fine until i checked the brake shoes.
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

I have had to file 2 hubs to get the sips to sit on the rear hubs,the hubs were touching the wheels and not going all the way down.
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

Hi GTFOMWSC, just reading part of one of your posts, "Gonna try it with them all facing same way up" You are using TWO parts per stud/ nut? I read that that you are only using one part of a two part system? I concur with Hendy, never had one come loose. Simon
GTFOMWSC

B-Race Tuning wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 pm Hi GTFOMWSC, just reading part of one of your posts, "Gonna try it with them all facing same way up" You are using TWO parts per stud/ nut? I read that that you are only using one part of a two part system? I concur with Hendy, never had one come loose. Simon
No using as a pair they come as them but 1 side has the wording the other doesn't it tightened up better wit them all the same way up
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

B-Race Tuning wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 pm Hi GTFOMWSC, just reading part of one of your posts, "Gonna try it with them all facing same way up" You are using TWO parts per stud/ nut? I read that that you are only using one part of a two part system? I concur with Hendy, never had one come loose. Simon
Good point. Genuine nord locks come in pairs with the two halves glued together.
diesel
Playstation gamer tag: speilekorps
Main scooter: lambretta li 150 s1 1958

Ramped sides facing each other and ribbed sides against the nut and the surface material. If you’re not going to use them properly you shouldn’t use them at all. You can reuse them.
GTFOMWSC

hendy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:26 pm
Good point. Genuine nord locks come in pairs with the two halves glued together.
yes i know i'm using them they have nordlock wriiten on them not the other type from screwfix i think
Andy W
Main scooter: GP 186 Imola

Might be worth checking that the nut isn't bottoming out on the stud, you think its tight but in fact the stud is up against the inside of the nut. I had one that hit the stud, so drilled the ends out of the nuts to be sure they tightened down correctly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information