Engine case bead blasting BUT NOT bead blasting

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Snails

Hi

Many years ago I had my engine case treated but it was not bead or vapor blasting but something else. The process made the casing all shiney and also means oil does not sink into the casing so it retains its finish. I want to describe this on my agreed value form that my insurance company wants me to complete but I cant remember the process name.
It was a guy in Salford that did it, His main customers tended to be classic bike and car restores rather than scooter owners and it was a quite expensive process - hence why I'd like to describe it on my agreed value..I had it recommended to me by someone on the LCGB forums when they were still open to all, so maybe that person is here..
TurboTrev

Sounds like a ball polished finish? Here it is on an alloy wheel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ97eFP4tVs
Snails

TurboTrev wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:04 pm Sounds like a ball polished finish? Here it is on an alloy wheel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ97eFP4tVs
Could have been, I know there were vats involved and it took a long time. Should have paid more attention at the time to the long winded explanation the guy offered but I was on my lunch break and just wanting get back :o :? :D
Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

I've had a couple soda blasted, doesn't affect bearing recesses.
Muttley McLadd

My engine went in the polishing vat, after I'd had it blasted. It doesn't take that long - half an hour. I don't think it was expensive. Certainly not expensive enough to make me think twice about it.
CakeAndArseParty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information