Garage door security

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Simonwwfc26

What's do you guys use to help secure you garage main doors 🚪
I've already got four hd live cctv cameras 🎥 on my property linked to my mobile phone with perimeter settings , been looking at a door defender that's bolted into ground ?
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

If you can close it from the inside and exit through a side door... Just drill 3 holes in the base of the door which run into the floor of the garage...and drop long metal bolts in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Simonwwfc26

Thanks dan yes my garage is built on the side of the house . At present I’ve drilled the frame and stick a mild steel bolt through a hole but would like to beef it up
Muttley McLadd

Maybe if people could post photos of their security arrangements, that'd be a good idea.
Obviously not switching off the location information on their photos first.
CakeAndArseParty
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I've got an "up and over" garage door,it was secured originally by the door lock in the middle,I have put a padlock and hasp at the bottom and top of the door and I have an alarm inside.I have also a c.c.t.v.system that is recording 24 hours a day.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

I use one of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/squire-garage-defender/79478
And park the car so they can't get at it easily.
It's not foolproof - but it's a decent start.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

HxPaul wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:33 am I've got an "up and over" garage door,it was secured originally by the door lock in the middle,I have put a padlock and hasp at the bottom and top of the door and I have an alarm inside.I have also a c.c.t.v.system that is recording 24 hours a day.
same here re the hasp and shackle- as long as you fix it so the bolts are covered by the hasp when locked.

I use a heavy duty H&S big expansion bolts and a quality padlock. The scooter is down the far end, then I have my car in the garage; the locked and H&S door; then my wifes car. Intruder lights outside

Oh....and a 12 bore......

If they can get past that lot and live they can have it!!

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:19 am If you can close it from the inside and exit through a side door... Just drill 3 holes in the base of the door which run into the floor of the garage...and drop long metal bolts in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like that idea, always dubious about external security devices as although they provide a visual deterrent they are also advertising that you've got something valuable inside.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Most people have something valuable in their garage.

A work colleague had their garage broken into last week while he was on holiday. He lost three motorbikes, all his tools, windsurfers, sailing equipment and the CCTV system. One guy was caught, and it turned out the garage door was open all week and loads of people must have helped themselves.

Securing the door to the floor seemed to be the best thing to do. Does anyone alarm their garage doors? If it's open and the alarm is going, someone might eventually show up to find out why.

I think a CCTV system might be a deterrent but pretty useless unless you enjoy watching re-runs of your stuff being nicked by fuzzy people with their faces covered
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

My sister worked on a property where on outbuildings they had a wire connected to the door that when opened pulled a pin out of a scaffold tube allowing a shotgun cartridge to full down the tube on to a nail. You had to disable this before opening the door in full.

Bit of a one-off-noise kind of alarm, but hopefully enough to scare off the herbert snooping around.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information