What Do I Call It?

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

Back in 1969, at the tender age of 16, I bought my1959 Lambretta Li 150 "Series 2". I still have it.

After I'd had it a while, I had reason to replace the piston. I have no idea why now, but I did. When I came to fit the new one, it didn't fit. I think it was that the skirts were too long, or something. Anyway, it turned out that I had a series 1 cylinder, so I got a Series 1 piston and that was fine.

When I was 18, I joined the Army and for the next 24 years in languished behind my parents' garage.

Fast forward to 1999 and spare time, a garage and some cash, I decided to drag it out from behind the parent's garage and restore it.

I got someone to do the engine part, and as it was a "Series 2", it was rebuilt with a Series 2 cylinder and piston.

A year or so ago, while googling, I came across The Lambretta Bible, by Pete Davis. That told me that Series 2s weren't produced until late 1959, and mine was first registered in April 1959. I contacted the VMSC with the engine and frame numbers and they confirmed that they related to a Series 1 machine.

So, I then had a scooter with Series 1 frame with Series 2 headstock, late Series 2 horn casing and large Series 2 rear light, and Series 1 transmission, with Series 2 cylinder and piston.

To further complicate matters, I've just had a stage 4 175 conversion. :lol: :lol:

So, if advertised for sale, what would I call it? :mrgreen:
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

as you've had it this long you're not going to sell it anyway so why worry about it?
Scootering since 1968.
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

Well, I can't ride it for ever.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

The frame dictates what the scoot is so it’s a series 1 with series 2 additions.......or simply put a bitsa......😀
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

Back in the 60's we did not worry too much about what model the bits came from so long as we could make them fit. My original sidecar scooter had a series 2 frame with the seat loop cut off and series 3 body work fitted and was complete with an SX200 engine. So that would confuse someone these days, if it was still around.
chippy

Unique bitsa with great heritage ;)
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I would be more diplomatic and call it a cross over model. :D
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

MightyGem wrote: So, if advertised for sale, what would I call it? :mrgreen:
Dave.

Good solid name, everyone knows a Dave.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

or Rodney....
Scootering since 1968.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

You may not be able to ride Dave forever but you could give it a bloody good try.
Personally I give mine female names
Clara- stylish and beautiful, great to be seen with
Rusty- a proper puttanesca , may not be the prettiest in the world but built for riding and leaves you with a big grin.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information