Bad fuel disposal

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Snails

Went to take one of scooters for a drive on Sunday after not using it for 4 weeks or so. It wouldn't run more than a few seconds - which is I'm assuming that the fuel has gone off. Tried it with some fuel out of another scoot that's probably of the same age but no joy. Now I have two petrol cans of fuel I need to get rid of. Am I right in thinking I can put into a car without any issue? Obviously not a diesel...
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

fuel lasts longer than 4 weeks or so- my TV is sorned at the moment and has fuel in it over 6 months old. Still starts and runs perfectly. Your fault may lie elsewhere.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I doubt if the fuel hase gone off after only 4 weeks,if it has gone off why would it work in a car and not in a scooter and also have you put 2 stroke oil in the petrol,if you have it may not work in a 4 stroke car.By the way,why didn't you put the fuel in the second scooter and try that.
Snails

Well four weeks or so is an estimate and the fuel was probably purchased and mixed some time before I last used it. I will bear it in mind. I cant try in the other scooter as I've stripped it down to bear frame for a tidy up over the winter :(

I suspect the fuel as the symptoms seem very similar to when I had the problem before. I guess the tip may dispose of the petrol - like they do with oil?
Daggs

Put it in your car. It'll do what Redex was supposed to do.
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Will work fine in a car or November 5th
Snails

Daggs wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:42 pm Put it in your car. It'll do what Redex was supposed to do.

Well it would not be my car as mine's a diesel. I've always thought a bit of two stroke wont hurt but as its not my car I thought I should double check

No idea about my reasoning as to why the fuel would work ok in a car and not a scooter but I don't think you hear of such issues causing cars problems so I guess I was thinking they are just easier to start and keep going cos of starter motors and the number of cylinders maybe...
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

be very careful of putting 2T fuel in your car- your catalytic converter won't like it- and they ain't cheap!!

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Snails wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:34 pm Well four weeks or so is an estimate and the fuel was probably purchased and mixed some time before I last used it. I will bear it in mind. I cant try in the other scooter as I've stripped it down to bear frame for a tidy up over the winter :(

I suspect the fuel as the symptoms seem very similar to when I had the problem before. I guess the tip may dispose of the petrol - like they do with oil?
I've been riding since 1966 and have never had any trouble with bad petrol,but you've had problems at least twice.If I were you I'd stop using that petrol station (if it is the same petrol station)
Daggs

bristolmod wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:13 pm be very careful of putting 2T fuel in your car- your catalytic converter won't like it- and they ain't cheap!!

Chris
Not if your car is a 1988 Renault ............ :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information