Insurance & garage payout refusal

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
compass

timexit17 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:46 pm Obviously it's not me, but I'd agree that legally there may be an unenforceable clause.
I just hope the scootering letter writer didn't let it lie at what his insurance co told him.
I thought the Scootering response from " a professional" was not helpful either and very one sided, and of course they will always tend to side with their chosen profession. :roll:

Compass 8-)
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

compass wrote:
timexit17 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:46 pm Obviously it's not me, but I'd agree that legally there may be an unenforceable clause.
I just hope the scootering letter writer didn't let it lie at what his insurance co told him.
I thought the Scootering response from " a professional" was not helpful either and very one sided, and of course they will always tend to side with their chosen profession. :roll:

Compass 8-)

An unusual viewpoint you have there? The situation is not actually as you describe at all, we are not involved in the matter and therefore there are no 'sides' for us to take.

It's a simple case of us printing a readers letter, asking an insurance company for a response to the scenario, and reporting the situation to the reader. We have no say in the matter, or 'side' to take.

If printing the letter/response stimulates debate, as it appears from this thread that it has, then that's a good thing. If the letter also encourages people to check their policies for strict clauses they may previously have been unaware of, then that's a good thing too.

Readers can then make informed choices about which insurance companies they do business with, and what clauses they find acceptable. That's all there is to it really....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

My insurance is with Equity Red Star through Allstyles(T.R.Youngs) Insurance brokers.Its for 2 scooters on a Classic Policy with an agreed amount.It states that the scooters must be kept in a locked garage at the address declared to them and during the course of a journey it must be kept securely locked.All that is quite understandable but right at the end is a "garaging clause" Which states that if a theft,or attempted theft occurs within a 500 metre radius of the declared garaging address,the insurance company may double the compulsory excess or rufuse to pay a claim.Thats a diameter of 1 Kilometre.Everyone with a garage will have a theft,or attempted theft within a Kilometre of the garage.
compass

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 am
compass wrote:

Compass 8-)

An unusual viewpoint you have there? The situation is not actually as you describe at all, we are not involved in the matter and therefore there are no 'sides' for us to take.

It's a simple case of us printing a readers letter, asking an insurance company for a response to the scenario, and reporting the situation to the reader. We have no say in the matter, or 'side' to take.

If printing the letter/response stimulates debate, as it appears from this thread that it has, then that's a good thing. If the letter also encourages people to check their policies for strict clauses they may previously have been unaware of, then that's a good thing too.

Readers can then make informed choices about which insurance companies they do business with, and what clauses they find acceptable. That's all there is to it really....

I wasn't implying that Scootering was being one sided, I thought that asking an insurance companies viewpoint was a good idea, however their view will always be a little biased in my opinion.
I was trying put across/ add that there is an another viewpoint , which is the consumers rights to contest the insurance companies decision. I was just disappointed that the insurance professional never mentioned this, prompting my comment that it was not helpful for the reader.

I hope that makes more sense.

Compass ;)
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

I agree with Compass here and his view was quite clear -it wasn't a pop at scootering's editorial at all, far from it.

I also agree an insurance spokesperson is going to side with the industry response, although I have made my own points on that already which don't tally with the 'want a discount? Get it garaged' attitude as we know some insurance types aren't actually available (discount or no) without being garaged.

To the magazines credit however, they did state all riders should check their insurance and it's clauses -very good advice.
You'll be relieved to hear I checked mine immediately I saw the letter so another gold star to the magazine for printing the letter.

For the audience at home:
Footman James won't cover you if stolen between 10pm -6am if within 1 miles of your garage.
This is for a classic agreed value policy.

Bennetts doesn't say anything at all, despite giving a garaged discount.
This is for a modern scooter policy.

The issue as I see it and why I created this thread was that this sort of rather snooty & draconian insurance response was IMHO (and yes I do have some legal training before anyone wants to start the 'how are you qualified?' guff) that there MAY be an unenforceable clause here.

The victim of this theft has nothing to lose, except his time, in seeking further legal advice on this point and I hope he does.

I'd also like to see scootering magazine run an insurance test/review at some point that clauses such as this one are compared on various offerings because clearly an insurance policy that demands instant garaging isn't providing the cover of one that only demands garaging between 10pm & 6 am for instance.

I wonder how much this discount actually was in reality in any case -unless the crime rate in his locality was approaching downtown beirut then perhaps this discount should have been made more obvious?
i.e. Want £20 off your premium? -We won't insure you within 1 mile of your house for theft if it isn't in your garage unless you're riding it. that then gives the insured person a fair and clear choice.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Sorry compass, my misunderstanding.

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information