Standardish Lambretta Set Ups

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I've got a gt186 with a fairly radical tune (190 ex and 128 transfers), a ts1 with a similar tune.

But my next one will be a cast 175 with around 170 exhaust 124 transfer and a clubman.

We're all getting old.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I just think you become more practical. And to be honest there is not a lot to choose between a standard exhaust or a big bore. Or a 175 and a 185. We all think you've got to have this stuff. But you don't really.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

this is an interesting question !

Seems like there are plenty of us that are quite content with a 'standardish ' engine which is quite a suprise to me.
Lots of the adverts in magazines and various articles etc seem to suggest that most Lambretta owners are only interested in spending megga bucks in the pursuit of unbelievable speeds but clearly there is a substantial minority that are not interested in following that route.

I never go on rallys or travel huge distances on motorways so I'm never going to need a mile eating monster plus my days of charging everywhere flat out are long gone. I'm happier these days to spuddle about at legal speeds

Thats not to say that I am not interested in wringing the best out of my standard LiS 150 as are the rest of us I'm sure. I've really enjoyed following the recent tech articles from Darrell ,'Bang for Buck' and Clubman Exhaust tests and intend to fit a 42mm Clubman and possibly electronic ignition to my new engine when fitted

To me the challenge is to maintain everything in the best mechanical condition and tune possible which gives me great satisfaction as I cruise at 45-55mph around the windy twisty country lanes enjoying the scenery , the challenging road surfaces and bends without the tension and stress that I'd have screaming around at 70mph+
Lamaddict

I've also just sold my DL's as I've found that Series 3 slime styles are more comfortable. Probably an age thing lol
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

johnny650 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:28 pm

To me the challenge is to maintain everything in the best mechanical condition and tune possible.
I think there is definitely an optimum point that balances your tune with reliability. Mine just happens to be a bit lower than other people. 😁
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

Martin20 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:16 am
Tractorman wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:56 am I have gone back to standard on my 150 special and although it's not as quick as it was with the mugello kit, clubman and 25mm dellorto it's quiet, does miles to gallon and a pleasure to ride.
Hi Tractorman. Are you running with a standard 18mm, carb, and standard exhaust? Got an 18mm on mine, and wondering if I should change to a 20 or 22mm, just to give a little bit more top speed!
Martin A 22mm Delli or jetex properly jetted and set up will give you a significant improvement in performance .
I stuck a 22mm jetex on my 64 150 special with a 5899-2 atomiser, a 109 main jet 45 pilot and a bog standard exhaust and the thing really flies carrying my 17 stone . Cruises easy at 50-55mph and pulls 40+ up hills .My timing is set at 19deg
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

johnny650 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:31 pm
Martin20 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:16 am
Tractorman wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:56 am I have gone back to standard on my 150 special and although it's not as quick as it was with the mugello kit, clubman and 25mm dellorto it's quiet, does miles to gallon and a pleasure to ride.
Hi Tractorman. Are you running with a standard 18mm, carb, and standard exhaust? Got an 18mm on mine, and wondering if I should change to a 20 or 22mm, just to give a little bit more top speed!
Martin A 22mm Delli or jetex properly jetted and set up will give you a significant improvement in performance .
I stuck a 22mm jetex on my 64 150 special with a 5899-2 atomiser, a 109 main jet 45 pilot and a bog standard exhaust and the thing really flies carrying my 17 stone . Cruises easy at 50-55mph and pulls 40+ up hills .My timing is set at 19deg
Bought myself a 22mm Jetex Johnny, and planning on fitting it soon! Only reason I am delaying is because scoot is running really well at the moment (tempting fate again!) on its 18mm Delli, and I am scared of 'upsetting the balance'! Not checked actual timing, but had flywheel off a few weeks ago to have it re-magnetized, and measured marks on mag housing which were at 23deg! Should have checked and reset it then! Nice little job to do in garage now nights are drawing in!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information